The decor of a modern apartment is a harmonious combination of functionality, rationalism and original non-standard ideas. Furniture plays an important role in shaping the interior space. So, for example, straight fabric sofas give coziness to the rooms, creating comfort for households and guests.
Advantages of textile upholstery:
- a wide choice of textures: velvet "hem", luxurious velvet, fleece shenilla, glossy silk;
- infinite number of monochromatic shades or patterns / patterns;
- replaceability (in the form of additional removable covers);
- creating beautiful furniture draperies;
- pleasant, warm and homely tactile sensations;
- the opportunity to order corner fabric sofas with an unusual combination of materials companions in color / texture.
The choice of upholstery for the sofa can not be underestimated. After all, it is desirable that the furniture was purchased not only by the color of textiles. Therefore, in order to make the right choice, it is recommended to get acquainted first with the main characteristics of fabrics that are used in the "upholstery world":
- density: the higher the rate (from 200 g / sq.m.), the more durable the material;
- strength determines how long the fabric does not wipe. The indicator is the number of cycles for the Martindale test. The technique is simple: a tissue sample is fixed on the holder, and then the disc with an abrasive (wool / sandpaper) rubs the sample in a circular motion. One cycle - one circular motion. The average for furniture textiles 10-15 thousand cycles;
- resistance to fading: the material should not quickly lose color from exposure to sunlight. Color fastness is rated on a scale from 1 to 8, where 1 is the worst indicator. For upholstery fabrics, a sufficient parameter is higher than four;
- paint strength: textiles should not paint other materials under friction. The rating scale is from 1 to 5 (the higher the number, the better);
- impregnation / spraying: increase the service life of the fabric, facilitate the care of furniture. Moreover, the impregnation is considered more effective, since each fiber is covered with a protective film. Thanks to these technologies, textiles acquire interesting advantages: antiseptic (from dust mites and parasites), antistatic, dirt / water repellent, fireproof, odorant (aromatization of fabric with special compositions).
Of course, the technical specifications deserve to be taken into account. But when choosing a fabric tactile sensations are more important. Nice to feel the warmth, softness of the material. Traditionally, natural textiles are considered better than artificial textiles. But not so simple.
What to choose: natural or practical? Description of fabric types
Materials are smooth, silky, soft rough. The choice is a matter of taste, although it is desirable to take into account the advantages and disadvantages of different types of fabrics:
- Artificial textiles are obtained by chemical processing of raw materials, and it differs little from natural ones thanks to innovative developments. And according to some characteristics, it even surpasses natural fiber, since the individual qualities (moisture resistance, refractoriness) become artificial tissue in a test tube;
- natural materials are breathable, environmentally friendly. The disadvantages include complex care (wet cleaning is prohibited for some fabrics), the need to protect from sunlight and from any contamination (there are spots on silk even from water droplets), high cost;
- blended fabric - the best option for upholstery. The material looks like natural textiles and at the same time has decent performance properties: wear resistance, easy maintenance, good ventilation, long-lasting color retention. The quality of upholstery depends on the percentage of artificial and natural fibers, the presence of impregnation.
But you should not dwell only on the naturalness / artificiality of fabrics when choosing upholstery. New textiles are constantly being offered on the market, which can even make an interesting piece of furniture from a clamshell.
A lot of upholstery materials, on the one hand, allows you to choose a non-standard version of fabric for the sofa. And on the other hand - the eyes run, and it is difficult to decide. Familiarity with the characteristics of certain types of textiles will simplify the search for a suitable upholstery.
Choosing a fabric sofa: what room, such and upholstery
In order for the furniture to harmoniously look in the interior, the purpose and style of the room must be taken into account:
- the children's room will be successfully complemented by double fabric sofas upholstered with materials with natural fibers (shenill, linen / cotton). As needed, textiles of small sofas can be easily updated / changed. It should be remembered that the fabric must necessarily have protective properties (from getting wet, pollution). As an option, it is worth considering flocking - it is easy to care for the cloth and just wash it with brushes;
- In the living room mainly put fabric sofas and armchairs. Naturally, the textiles, type and shape of the elements of the situation should reflect the interior of the room. When the design in the style of minimalism look favorably products, upholstered in flock. Gray fabric sofas will perfectly harmonize with the interior, decorated in the traditional colors of minimalism - white, black. Baroque furniture stands out for its magnificence and wealth. A velvet velor upholstery emphasizes the elegance of luxurious sofas and chairs;
- for a berth folding sofas are used. To rest was comfortable, choose furniture upholstered in blended fabrics (mat). Also suitable for upholstery: velor, chenille, jacquard. Often in small apartments a room performs several roles (living room, study, bedroom). Optimally, if the furniture is also multifunctional. In the light of these wishes, a fabric sofa bed is a great option.
Subtleties care furniture
Developers are trying to simplify the life of buyers and make the use of furniture comfortable and easy. Straight fabric sofas already require less maintenance. It is generally recognized that the furniture will last much longer if you follow at least the minimum rules for the care of products:
- regular (optimally weekly) dry cleaning of the sofa. You can use a vacuum cleaner or a regular brush;
- spilled liquid is better to get wet. To avoid the spread of pollution, movements are made from the edges of the spot to its center;
- after wet upholstery processing it is not recommended to sit on the sofa until the textiles dry;
- if you want to try a new upholstery care product, check its effect on a small inconspicuous area;
- Do not use detergents with aggressive additives.
Warm and bright textile upholstery is always in demand. The furniture market offers an incredibly many models for every taste and budget. A variety of forms, upholstery, colors will allow for a long time to make a fabric sofa the main element of the interior or a modest detail of the cabinet furnishings.