Linoleum is considered one of the most economical and popular flooring for homes in the domestic core market. Due to the tireless development of the industry, users can choose the best option from dozens of items that differ in properties, cost, operational capabilities and durability.
Advantages and disadvantages of the finishing material
The key advantages of linoleum are:
- ease of installation, the possibility of independent work;
- no need to apply a protective coating, unlike natural wooden surfaces;
- it is a non-slip and elastic material that can be safely moved around, so it is often used as a budget option in public places and schools;
- a large assortment of colors and decor allows you to bring to life any design ideas;
- unpretentiousness in leaving, possibility of fast cleaning;
- resistance to contact with acids and moisture, frequent washing of the surface is acceptable;
- optimum sound and heat insulation characteristics.
- it is necessary to carefully align the base;
- if you move the furniture from place to place, you will notice dents;
- cheap varieties may be poor quality, emitting harmful chemicals.
Types of linoleum for flooring by area of use:
According to the presence of the base, the product is divided into a simple and having a special basis. Finally, there are single-layer and multi-layer variations in structure, and in composition they are natural and synthetic.
When choosing a floor covering should be taken into account not only the external signs of production, but also its physical properties. According to Russian standards, 3 categories of linoleum are presented on the market:
- For residential premises - 21, 22, 23 classes for zones with low, medium and high traffic, respectively.
- For office and office space - 31-34 classes.
- For production areas - 41-43 classes.
Household linoleum has a multilayer structure, it is made on a foam basis. The material has high decorative and sound insulation characteristics, pleasant to the touch, environmentally safe. The maximum thickness of the protective layer does not exceed 0.35 mm, this level of wear resistance is sufficient only for residential premises.
Technical or commercial coverage is not afraid of most types of mechanical influences that occur in areas with high traffic: airports, school corridors, trading rooms. The material does not emit harmful substances, its only minus is the high cost.
Semi-commercial linoleum can be used both at home and in public places, it, unlike the previous version, does not place high demands on the base on which it will be laid.
Composition and technical properties of semi-commercial category
These types of linoleum are multi-layered, they include:
- polyvinyl chloride substrate, which in some cases is complemented with fiberglass. This measure significantly increases the operational life of the product, prevents its destruction and stretching;
- the decorative layer provides an aesthetic component, there are monochrome and multi-colored materials, imitations of granite, stone, wood, tile floor;
- Polyurethane or PVC protection to prevent premature wear.
Types of linoleum depending on the base material
Here are allocated:
- nitrocellulose (colloxylin);
- glyphthalic linoleum.
The most harmless is the natural line - it is an environmentally friendly material made from cork, limestone, wood flour, pine resin, linseed oil, natural dyes. The bearing base is made of jute fabric, if desired, you can find variations without the top lacquer layer. Product Benefits:
- pleasant appearance, wear resistance of the coating;
- acceptability of both wet and dry cleaning;
- the surface does not accumulate static electricity;
- high fire resistance;
- bactericidal properties;
- The material is not afraid of contact with UV radiation, ethyl alcohol and diluted acids.
The only drawback of natural linoleum is a low plasticity; special care must be taken during transportation to avoid kinks and breaks.
PVC rulers can be woven base or released without it. Depending on the number of layers, there are homogeneous and heterogeneous materials. In the first case, the material thickness can reach 3 mm, as a rule, it is monochromatic, talc, limestone, kaolin serve as basic components, the product is covered with polyurethane protection. Multilayer heterogeneous linoleums are based on fiberglass, on the front side they are covered with a layer of PVC, on which the drawing is subsequently applied.
The value of the production base
Asking the question about what kinds of linoleum are, you can not avoid such a criterion as the essence of the base. Here are the following types of linoleum:
- Baseless - this is a single-layer coating relating to the budget price segment, it is actively used as a finish for bathrooms, bathrooms and kitchens, that is, household premises, characterized by a high level of humidity. Since the material is thin, before laying it is necessary to properly level the floors.
- On the foam base - this is a multi-layered cloth, the thickness of which reaches 3.5 mm, they are glued at the corners and diagonals, the joints are welded. This view is used in the same place as the previous version.
- On a warm basis - the base is felt or jute, a polymer layer is applied on top. To prevent moisture from entering the base, it is recommended to lay it in one piece (without joints).
In order for linoleum to become a worthy alternative to tile or carpet, you should pay attention to its modern modifications. So highly in demand antistatic material, which is used in areas where highly sensitive equipment operates.
Sports linoleum is widespread on the objects intended for active pastime. The top layer is made of high-strength polyvinyl chloride, which retains the original properties even in conditions of intensive use. The floor turns out elastic, strong, safety.