Gypsum decorative stone is a spectacular finish, the aesthetic and functional properties of which allow it to be used both in exterior and interior.
Features of the decor of plaster
Gypsum tile successfully replaces the natural facing of marble and granite, perfectly imitates the texture of the original, while having an impressive number of advantages. The advantages of plaster coating in comparison with the natural stone analogue:
- the ease of the product - in contrast to the natural "brethren", a decorative plaster tile weighs several times less. Used in the facing of the main walls, art designs and interior partitions, which can not be subjected to additional load;
- simplicity of laying - it is easy to cope with the execution of finishing works, even without having experience in this area;
- accessibility - gypsum decorative stone is implemented in an inexpensive segment. Democratic material is due to cheap raw materials and ease of the production process;
- a wide range of choice - tile under the stone is presented in a huge variety of colors, shapes, textures. If you wish, you can order an exclusive version of the products on the basis of the author's work;
- the possibility of self-production - decorative plaster stone for interior decoration is easy to cast with your own hands at home. It requires the availability of high-quality raw materials, an elementary set of devices and tools, a creative approach to the process and a desire to create.
The disadvantages of gypsum stone tiles include:
- material brittleness - the product is easily deformed by mechanical action, a blow of insignificant force is fraught with a crack or chip. Particularly susceptible to deformation plaster tiles of a large format;
- moisture absorption - gypsum absorbs moisture well, and the product then quickly collapses. To prevent this effect, it is recommended to treat the gypsum surface with a special protective compound.
With a strict implementation of the production and laying technology, decorative gypsum stone for interior decoration can effectively emphasize the advantages of interior design and hide the defects of the wall surface of a structural and aesthetic nature.
Varieties of decorative stone on a plaster base
With the help of plaster finishes, it is easy to imitate natural stone with natural properties. You can make a tile with a smooth surface or make it in the form of a product with peculiar irregularities, duplicate chips and other natural features of the material. When planning the final wall covering in the interiors of various stylistic concepts, it is easy to choose among the proposals the optimal model of a plaster stone image:
- the crushed surface imitates the uneven structure of a stone base with edges as if hammered out. It is popular in the design of modern interiors, fits well into the design of the home office, is often found in the decor of the lobby of public buildings, looks harmonious in the arrangement of offices;
- sawn surface - smooth edges with a small roughness. Tiles under the stone are relevant in the decoration of residential premises, kitchens and entrance areas. It has less brutality than the previous analogue of the coating, stands out for a certain rigor, emphasizes the sophistication of the interior style;
- rubble surface - the natural form of boulders and pebbles is duplicated. The coating fits perfectly into any decor concept. Often decorates the wall niches of the living room and bedroom, used in the arrangement of children's, recreation areas in offices. It is found in the design of the walls of the lobby, waiting rooms, airport terminals and train stations;
- arbitrary surface - the embodiment of design ideas and innovative solutions. Decorative gypsum stone with fantasy lines and curves is most often used in the decoration of interior art objects, columns, projections or ceiling structures.
Choosing a coating on a plaster base, special attention is paid to the color solution of the material. Tiles under stone in pastel colors contribute to the visual expansion of space, light shades reflect light well, and rich colors give the interior a note of mystery, nobility and extravagance.
Coverage definitely looks advantageous in the design of fireplaces. It is equally interesting to use a plaster imitation of a stone in the arrangement of niches in the wall. In this case, the tile is relevant as a continuous decoration of the selected area, and in the form of a framing of an art object: shelves, paintings or panels in a niche. There are the following applications for the product:
- design of arched structures;
- decor doorways;
- window decor;
- wall decoration - in spacious rooms, the entire surface is often decorated with plaster tiles. In a room with a compact scale, the composition is performed on a small portion of the vertical plane;
- the decoration of art objects is the finishing of columns, the lower base or contours of light panels, interior waterfalls, bubble panels built into the wall or furniture of aquariums and other structures.
It is easy to create an exclusive interior either by simply laying tiles on a protruding corner of the wall or by decorating a free surface with a simple composition of gypsum trim.
How to lay a decorative plaster stone?
The basis for laying decorative tiles can be a surface of any material:
Installation of cladding simple, requires the implementation of elementary rules that will cope even a novice in the field of repair and decoration. They buy a tile for stone and glue, paint to match the finish, you also need a set of tools:
- spatulas and brushes, sponge;
- plumb, perpendicular, pencil;
- assembly gun, hacksaw.
The decor is carefully cleaned from the old coating, plastered and leveled. Using a notched trowel, on the plaster create grooves that contribute to high-quality fixation of the lining. Further the surface is degreased and primed.
Secrets of the popularity of decorative stone
Gypsum imitation stone is in perfect harmony with other finishing materials:
- any types of plaster;
- wall panels of any bases, including a natural tree, polymeric cloths, gypsum cardboard, glass, etc .;
- fabric wall covering.
An equally important criterion for the popularity of artificial stone cladding is its hypoallergenicity. The product with the same popularity is used in the arrangement of premises in children's institutions, living room, bedroom, kitchen, they trim the interior space in medical institutions.
Gypsum perfectly absorbs moisture, but also gives it back well, provides a comfortable indoor microclimate. The material has high noise absorption parameters, has good thermal insulation, inspires confidence as a worthy option for finishing any surfaces.