The popularity of laminate is based on the ease of installation, respectable appearance and a wide range of textures. This material is based on HDF stove, it differs in its water resistance from fiberboard and even MDF, but still it is not enough for laying in such rooms as a bathroom or kitchen. Moisture, penetrating into the cracks between the laminate panels, leads to swelling of the base and a change in the structure of the compound. That is why manufacturers offer waterproof laminate to the bathroom, the locks of which are impregnated with a special water-repellent impregnation.
Such a solution is acceptable for rooms where there is leak protection and a reliable water supply system. Competition tile such a laminate can not make. A completely different product - waterproof PVC-based laminate. It has excellent practical characteristics and can compete with ceramic tiles.
PVC is a polymeric material that has received the widest distribution. It produces food packaging, medical containers, household appliances and a wide range of building materials. He is not afraid of water, has a small coefficient of linear expansion and fairly good strength. It is from PVC that the basis for a moisture resistant laminate is produced. It has a lattice structure, which makes the panel not only lighter, but also improves its thermal performance. Part of the base is the lock, which ensures easy and reliable installation.
A decorative layer is applied to the base of the panel, imitating the texture of natural wood or stone, ceramic or clinker tiles. It is protected by acrylic resin, additional waterproofing and reliable wear-resistant layer. This structure provides laminated floors with the following benefits:
- maximum moisture resistance;
- good sound insulation properties;
- wear resistance;
- long service life;
- high strength;
- simple installation;
- easy care
Manufacturers offer a waterproof laminate for the bathroom and kitchen in a wide range. The surface of the material ideally imitates the complex structure of expensive wood or natural stone. All this has led to the popularity of this flooring.
Where is moisture resistant laminate used?
Traditionally, moisture resistant PVC laminate is recommended to be used in rooms in which there is a possibility of floor flooding with water. This is most often about the bathrooms, bathrooms, kitchen. There is a chance of formation of puddles on the floor, which can not be removed in a timely manner. For example, there were problems with the water heater and all of its 100-120 liters flowed to the floor while the owners were not at home. Another problem could be a dishwasher or a washing machine. Through the damaged cold water supply hose, more than a dozen liters of water can pour onto the floor. Only vinyl laminate can withstand such experiments; HDF-based panels will swell under such conditions and lose their appearance.
One of the main premises where this type of flooring is used is the kitchen. The main advantage of vinyl laminate is a wide selection of collections under natural wood. Unlike ceramic tiles, this flooring is less rigid.
If you drop a plate on it, then there is a chance that it will survive. When falling on the tile does not break only aluminum and steel utensils. It is for this reason that ceramics are trying to lay out only the working area along the cutting table and the sink. Practical waterproof laminate for the kitchen can be used over the entire area of the room. It is easy to care for it, it differs in functionality and will create unique comfort.
Vinyl laminate is an excellent choice for laying flooring in a room with high humidity. It is also used in other rooms where the conditions of operation are much milder.
The traditional question is facing the buyers of this material: how to choose a waterproof laminate for your home? First of all, you should pay attention to the manufacturer of the product. Companies that have established themselves in the European market, produce flooring that meets the most stringent quality standards. The most popular brands in our country today are:
- Dumafloor is a French company that produces two collections of moisture-resistant laminate of 31 and 32 classes. The panels have a quality lock that allows you to create a monolithic coating. The covering can be used in systems of a heat-insulated floor, and the design of a laminate conforms to the most strict requirements of leading experts in the field of an interior;
- Aqua-Step - the Belgian company offers high-quality products 32 classes of abrasion resistance, the locks of the panels have rubber seals, which ensure perfect tightness of the connection. There is a wide choice of products in the assortment, the design of which imitates not only natural wood, but also stone or ceramic tile;
- Decorstep is a domestic manufacturer of waterproof laminate, offering a floor covering of 32 classes. Attracts affordable price, high quality and long service life.
All brands deserve the respect of experts, their products are easy to install, and the appearance is worthy of the most respectable interiors.
When choosing a laminate design, it is necessary to pay attention to its compliance with the interior of the room. It is recommended to use a floor covering that is several tones darker than the wall material. You can use the same color laminate with interior doors. In the case of wall tiles with ceramic tiles, you can choose a collection that mimics this popular material.
Installation of waterproof laminate
The principles of laying this flooring are similar to working with traditional laminate. You need a simple tool, a little care and free time. To cut a waterproof laminate is better with an electric jigsaw with a metal file. All other requirements are well known to both specialists and home craftsmen:
- an even and strong base is required, the best option is a concrete screed or floor, which is leveled using OSB sheets or moisture resistant plywood;
- It is necessary to use a substrate, it will fix microscopic irregularities and provide a more comfortable indoor microclimate;
- the compensation gap between the laminate and the walls or pipes of communications is necessary, in this case it can be minimal - 10-15 mm.
Laying can be done both directly and diagonally, but the second option is rarely used due to the large amount of waste.
Moisture resistant laminate - durable, beautiful and practical coating, worthy of the most respectable interiors. The use of this material will allow for several decades to forget about repairing the flooring.