Lappaty tile is a porcelain tile, polished by a special technology. Its essence is that only part of the tile is polished, the rest of the surface remains unpolished and rough. As a result, the tile not only gets an interesting decorative effect, but also certain qualities.
How are ceramic granite tiles produced?
Porcelain tile, from which lappatirovannuyu tiles are made, is a finishing material based on white clay, quartz sand, feldspar and some other minerals and water. The mixture is carefully crushed, pressed under high pressure and burned at a temperature of 1200-1300 degrees. The result is a very strong low porous tile for technical use. It is placed in places with significant loads, for example, in public places with high traffic, at industrial enterprises.
Tile paint by introducing special pigments in semi-molten mass. Painted porcelain is widely used in exterior decoration of buildings as facade, basement tiles and in interior decoration for floors and walls. Metal oxide is used to create different colors and patterns.
As a finishing material, porcelain tile has excellent properties:
- not subject to abrasion, scratches, mechanical damage;
- does not collapse from the action of moisture;
- it is not affected by temperature extremes;
- subject to the technology of laying is very long.
The ability to paint porcelain tiles in different colors and use different options for polishing the surface significantly expands its decorative qualities.
There are several types of porcelain tiles:
- brushed, polished;
- double backfill.
Lappatirovanny porcelain tile in the range of finishing materials appeared relatively recently and is already in wide demand due to high consumer qualities and an unusual appearance, imitating different types of natural and artificial stone.
This technology was invented in Italy, the name "lappato" in Italian means "worn". Lappaty tiles obtained from the usual porcelain stoneware method of partial grinding. Special grinding stones allow you to remove uneven top layer, leaving some areas more or less smooth. During the grinding process, each tile is processed by several abrasive heads. They cut the top layer, creating a smooth shiny surface. An experienced master creates interesting effects on the tile surface with their help. The downside of this technology is that during processing the tile is somewhat thinner and its pores open. This reduces the quality of the tile. To solve this problem, special mastics are applied to the tile, covering the pores and facilitating care.
Properties of Lappat tile
Lappatirovannaya tile has all the advantages of conventional ceramic granite and due to its special treatment has additional:
- strength - the tile withstands even not very strong blows with a hammer;
- water tightness - after high-temperature roasting there are almost no pores in it where moisture could be absorbed;
- wear resistance - the usual tile practically does not wear out, and on the laminated due to the non-uniform structure any scratches and abrasions will not be noticeable;
- heat capacity - as well as any ceramics, this tile well keeps heat that allows to save on heating of the room;
- chemical inertness - there are no traces on the material after any aggressive substances hit it;
- frost resistance - achieved due to water resistance, since the material that has collected water when it freezes loses its strength when the water turns into ice and expands;
- resistance to fading - non-uniform surface contributes to the partial reflection of the sun's rays;
- refractoriness - the material does not burn, does not support fire and is not deformed even under the action of direct flame.
All of these qualities make Lappat porcelain stoneware versatile finishing material, allowing to apply it with virtually no restrictions.
Decorative advantages and disadvantages of lappatirovannogo tiles
Due to the non-uniformly polished surface, this type of porcelain stoneware as a finishing material has several advantages:
- No glare. Smooth shiny surface tends to reject sharp glare. In addition to the eye irritating effect, this property can have dangerous consequences. Sharp glare from the polished finish of the facade can get into the eyes of the driver or pedestrian and create a dangerous situation on the roadway.
- Lappaty tile does not create such brilliance.
- Smooth transitions between matte and glossy areas create a feeling of softness and unobtrusive shine.
- A certain degree of polishing and well-chosen color imitate the noble brilliance of natural or artificial stone, creating a beautiful interior.
- The lack of a uniform smooth surface prevents slipping.
- A wide range of lappatirovanny tiles allows you to embody in the interior of any design ideas.
It should be noted that for security purposes, the use of smooth ceramic tiles in public places is limited even with special rubber linings.
The use of lappatirovannoe floor tiles significantly reduces the likelihood of slipping.
In addition to the advantages, there are some drawbacks inherent in both conventional porcelain and lappatirovanny:
- cold to the touch without special heating. When used in showers or bathrooms this can be unpleasant;
- quite expensive, although it is leveled by a long service life;
- when wet it can be slippery due to individual glossy areas;
- Special tools are required for cutting.
As you can see, these shortcomings are very relative and can be reduced to zero with proper use. For example, when laying tiles in rooms where it is always wet, you can choose floor tiles with minimal glossy areas. Laying under the tile heating system will make the floors warm. Due to the ability of porcelain stoneware to accumulate heat consumption of electricity will be small. Well, cutting tiles at the request of the customer produce many large construction shops.
Scope of this finishing material due to its properties. So thanks to the highest durability, tiles are everywhere laid in places with high traffic. Most often, this tile is laid in public places, offices, industrial buildings. Long service life justifies its use in the exterior of buildings, private houses. It is used in the decoration of the porch, porch, steps.
To prevent possible sliding on the steps, use special rubber linings or carpet mats.
In the apartments, porcelain tile is used less frequently, mainly for flooring. This floor tile in a classical interior or in a modernist style for finishing of a bathroom, a hall, kitchen, a balcony beautifully looks. Porcelain stoneware is widely used in the design of fireplaces and stoves. It can make an interesting and durable tabletop or kitchen apron. When calculating the need to take into account the significant weight of the material.
How to properly care for Lappati tile
Caring for porcelain is uncomplicated. It can be washed with a sponge or brush of any hardness. But without the need for strong abrasives and metal brushes is better not to use. Resistance to aggressive media allows the use of any potent detergents for tile with significant pollution. For the usual regular cleaning is enough soap solution and glass cleaner for the final shine.
Lappatirovanny porcelain tile is a real find for interior designers. Various combinations of glossy and matte parts allow you to create the most interesting effects. The tiled surface of a wall, column, or floor takes on a soft, muffled sheen. Skillfully adding contrasting materials and spot lighting, an experienced designer will achieve a unique and harmonious combination of color, light and textures in the interior, and the unsurpassed strength of lappatirovanny granite will allow you to admire the created situation for many years.