Balcony decoration is a crucial process, which allows not only to improve its appearance, but also to keep the house warm. At observance of all requirements and the correct performance of installation works, heat losses are reduced by 30%. Exterior trim balcony siding is one of the most common ways to design it. The material has different types, differing in color and operational properties.
Features finishing the balcony siding
Features siding affecting the choice of finishing coating:
- Siding is a profile made of different materials, characterized by high resistance to any weather conditions and rapid temperature changes. It is also durable, flame retardant and has good performance.
- The length of the strips varies from 2 to 6 m, and the width from 10 to 30 cm.
- Fixed elements of the coating with screws and snap-on locks.
- Siding can be made in different directions both horizontally and vertically.
- The material has different colors, allowing you to choose it for any interior.
- Exterior decoration of a balcony with siding requires careful preparation and certain skills.
- Siding coating for a long time retains its original appearance, without much care and tinting the surface.
If you are covering the balcony with siding with your own hands, you must follow the safety rules.
Exterior siding is carried out using insulating materials, which significantly reduces the level of heat loss.
Siding coating is made of different materials, which affects its performance and appearance. So the surface of some species imitates stone, brick or wood. In some cases, a combination of material with corrugated board is used.
The most expensive, but common material is ground siding, used not only for cladding balconies, but also for decorating the walls of a house.
The advantages of siding when finishing them balcony
As already mentioned, exterior trim balconies siding - this is a great way to design it, but besides this, there are a few advantages:
- Installation of the material can be carried out on any base, be it concrete, wood or brick.
- Thanks to the key fastening of the panels, the siding coating is solid, without gaps or gaps.
- The material, regardless of its varieties, has excellent performance properties, allowing it to be used in a variety of climatic conditions both in high temperatures and in extreme heat. Virtually every species meets these requirements.
- The panels are also resistant to mechanical damage, which allows them to be used for many years.
- Exterior decoration of balconies with siding does not need regular maintenance and coloring of the coating. At emergence of pollution they are easily eliminated.
- Balcony sheathing with siding outside affects not only the insulation of the room, but also its sound insulation.
- Facing work can be done at any time of the year, as the technological process does not provide for wet activities.
- Finishing material has an affordable cost, allowing it to use all segments of the population. Especially if there is no cost to attract specialists to perform installation work.
For covering the balcony with siding panels, you must prepare all the tools in advance:
- drill with magnetic nozzles;
- wire staples;
- fasteners and anchor bolts;
- wooden bars for forming the frame;
- inner and outer corners;
- fishing line 10 m;
- metal brush;
- starting and subwindow strips.
In addition to all this, it is necessary to prepare a hacksaw for metal and an assembly knife, depending on the type of finishing material.
Finishing process technology
Like any construction process, the finishing of the balcony is divided into several stages, each of which has its own sequence.
Preparation of the loggia
This process begins with removing the old coating, if any, and preparing the surface for work. The sequence of the preparatory work:
- the concrete surface is cleaned and primed;
- in the presence of metal grates, they are cleaned from rust, primed and painted, thereby preventing further development of corrosion;
- measured level of the outer surface. When potholes are found, they are sealed with cement mortar;
- if the balcony is finished from the inside, the room is cleaned of foreign objects and the removal of facing material. The surface is flattened and primed.
The preparatory process should be carried out very carefully so that pieces of dried mortar and other debris do not fall down.
Preparing the base and making sure that the balcony is not in an emergency condition, you can proceed to the manufacture of the frame, consisting of two rails (lower and upper) and vertical bridges.
- The first wooden bars are attached to the corners of the balcony with anchors. In the absence of side concrete panels, the bars are fastened to the metal frame with bolts.
- Then, on top and bottom, the horizontal slats are laid, thereby creating the box.
- Vertical lintels are attached to horizontal guides with a pitch of 40 to 60 cm, self-tapping screws are used for this.
- Processing of the obtained lathing with antiseptic and drying oil is carried out, which will help to protect the wood from moisture and harmful insects, which are a destructive factor for the whole structure.
For loggias, the frame making technology is similar to the one described above.
For durable construction and strong fixation of siding panels, the horizontal slats must be parallel to each other, and the step between the vertical lintels should not be more than 60 cm.
If you are finishing the balcony with siding outside, it is recommended to stretch the wind and vapor barrier membrane on the crate, securing it with a building stapler.
Then you can proceed to the exterior of the balcony, which has the following sequence:
- special corners are mounted on the corners of the batten, into which the siding panels will be inserted with the end sides;
- at the very bottom, the first panel is installed and fixed to the lower horizontal rail with self-tapping screws. The rest of the cover elements will be attached to it;
- The first strip is inserted into the lock groove and fixed with the help of screws, which are screwed into specially designated holes. The location of the fastener should be in the center of the ellipse. The connection of the strips among themselves must be accompanied by a characteristic click, which indicates the correct connection and the production of a solid and high-quality canvas.
Thus, the balcony is covered with siding outside to the finish batten.
At the end of the facing of the front can go to the ends of the structure. Installation of panels is made in the same sequence.
After the frame is fully finished, a window sill is installed, which snaps onto the outer siding strip and is screwed with self-tapping screws.
When laying the last strip you need to ensure that it coincides with the edge of the sheathing. It is not recommended to cut the material along the panel. It is also necessary to calculate the overlap for the future platband within 2 cm.
Balcony interior decoration
Interior decoration of the balcony with siding is carried out after its glazing. This process also consists of several steps:
- Walls are cleaned and primed to prevent the development of harmful microorganisms and insects. The primer also helps to strengthen the structure of the walls, thereby preventing them from collapsing;
- a crate is installed with a step of longitudinal strips of 70 cm and is treated with an antiseptic agent;
- wiring as necessary;
- fixing of the top panels is carried out to the ceiling using dowels or liquid nails;
- at the end are installed mounting angles, window openings, bumpers and other additional elements.
The entire installation process must be carried out with constant monitoring of the surface level.