When the owners equip their homes, I want each element to meet a number of characteristics: high quality, reliability, practicality, long service life, but appearance is just as important. One of the important stages of arrangement is the installation of window sills. Now the market offers a fairly wide range of materials that are able to meet the highest requirements. However, the installation must take into account the features and follow the rules that will help ensure reliable operation.
When choosing a material, it is necessary to take into account that a window sill is an element that is amenable to mechanical stress, exposure to temperature, moisture, and sunlight. At the same time, it must perform protective functions and not lose its aesthetic appearance. And if the appropriate material is found, which can fully meet the requirements, the main step is the installation.
If you give preference to PVC material, the owners can save due to low cost, but this savings has its disadvantages. Such window sills are easily subject to mechanical impact, scratches remain on the surface, except that they are not heat resistant. An improved version - with acrylic coating, it is heat-resistant and this coating is resistant to abrasives.
When choosing a natural stone, the owners can count on the high quality of the material. This material belongs to a high price category, but it is easily amenable to mechanical stress.
Immediately it should be noted that installing a wooden window sill with your own hands is quite a laborious and complicated process, but at the same time installing wooden window sills is popular because this material is quite practical, environmentally friendly and has a beautiful appearance. Of course, installing a windowsill in a wooden house is more popular, it fits the interior, and with proper installation guarantees a long and reliable service life.
- Before installation, you need to carefully prepare the material. It should not be knots or any defects. The slab must be polished and polished on each side.
- On the lower side you need to apply antiseptic, which will save the fabric during operation from mold and mildew.
- We need to take care of the gutters, they are cut at the bottom of the board, from 7 to 9 mm wide, and 5 mm deep.
- When the plate is ready for installation, it is cut to the desired value. Approximate dimensions: length exceeds the width of the window from 10 to 15 cm, the protrusion inward is less than the width of the window from 5 to 8 cm.
- The next stage of work depends on the surface on which the stove will be installed. If it is a tree, then it is enough to treat it with an antiseptic. When the walls are made of brick or stone, a lime-gypsum mortar will be needed for operation.
- Next, you need to start the board on a quarter of the timber (bottom) of the box, after which it must be fastened to the box. To do this, you can use the usual long nails, caps must be cut off.
- When the surface on which the web is placed is not sufficiently even and has drops, special wedges should be used, which are fixed with the help of a mortar.
- After the plate is installed, immediately remove the excess solution.
- All gaps and voids are filled with foam.
If we talk about which array is better to choose, then oak, beech, pine or larch is most often used.
In addition to the stage of working with a window sill, you need to understand that the installation of slopes is not less important process. When self-installation occurs, the advantage is that the host controls each process. Sometimes this is not very well reflected in the final result. If you make the window sill very wide with narrow load-bearing external walls, this may affect its quality of operation and sooner or later it will need to be replaced, therefore it is very important to adhere to the basic rules and recommendations.