If you started a renovation in the apartment, you probably wondered how to choose the design of the ceilings in each room. For example, a ceiling in a foam room or a stretch ceiling in the bedroom will look good, but here it is better to build a ceiling in the toilet or a ceiling on a balcony from PVC panels.
It is better to sheathe kitchen ceilings with plastic panels, since in these rooms there is often a lot of moisture, soot and fire, and plastic PVC panels, if necessary, can always be wiped with a rag moistened, for example, in a washing solution. The ceiling of the PVC panels in the bathroom will not deteriorate even if water jets hit it, and plastic mirrored panels for the ceiling will look great in this room, especially if they are seamless panels.
Finishing the ceiling with PVC panels, as well as finishing the ceiling with MDF panels, is not too complicated. (For those who do not know, we inform that MDF is a medium-density fiberboard plate).
PVC panels, like most types of wood-fiber, including veneered or corked, or veneered panels, are easily cut and easily attached with slats when building a ceiling from panels with your own hands.
The ceiling of the foam in the living room or the ceiling in the corridor of chipboard with veneer coating is beautiful, but in the bathroom it is better to install a suspended ceiling made of plastic panels. Also keep in mind that PVC panels for the ceiling in the kitchen or MDF panels for the ceiling in the hallway will be a more suitable solution if you decide to do repairs.
How to make the ceiling of the plastic panels yourself?
For those who do not know what are such panels for a suspended ceiling, we inform you that these are plastic strips with a length of usually 3 or 6 meters and a width of 25 or 30 centimeters. Their short ends are cut, and the long ones are made in the form of locks, which are a kind of those that are in laminate plates.
Installation of plastic panels is made on a wooden or metal frame of the profile used in the installation of a material such as plasterboard.
All types of finishing plastic panels inside are hollow with stiffeners. Due to this, they possess such characteristics as a sufficiently high strength and low weight. In order to sheathe the ceiling with plastic panels, some special profiles are also needed, also made of plastic.
Types of PVC profiles for plastic panels on the ceiling
So, for the installation of a ceiling covering or wall cladding, you must also purchase the following profiles:
- "start" (necessary to close the end of the panels);
- "F-profile" (intended for closing the ends of the panels in the corners with transitions to the wall);
- "H-profile" (used to build PVC panels in length);
- "outer corner" and "inner corner" (they are a bit similar, but the design is designed so that one is better to use for closing the ends of the panels on the outer and the other on the inner corners);
- "ceiling plinth" (it is used if the ceiling is not sheathed, but the ceiling is plastic panels, and is, in fact, a "refined starting profile");
- "universal corner" (rarely used, since although it can be used for any angle, the aesthetic effect obtained from this is not very impressive).
Next, we consider how to make the ceiling of PVC panels in the bathroom or the ceiling in the toilet in the case when the walls of these rooms are already covered with tiles that do not reach the draft ceiling by 5-10 centimeters.
In the case proposed for consideration, there are two options: it is possible to attach the frames of the frame above the tile, or you can attach it directly on it. The second method should be immediately eliminated, as potentially dangerous, which could lead to damage to the ceramic wall cladding.
As for the first option, an interesting solution is the following: buy Knauf ROTBAND plaster plaster and apply it over the tile in the form of a narrow strip five centimeters wide, leaning on the tile of the finished coating. This can achieve a coincidence of the plane to which the profile will be fastened with the plane of the surface of the cladding.
Guides can be fastened to the dowel-nails immediately after the "setting" of the plaster, that is, somewhere in a couple of hours. At the same time, if you are building the ceiling in the bathroom from the panels or the ceiling on the balcony, then use only galvanized profiles for the frame, as these are places with high humidity.
How to fix PVC panels? Naturally, across profiles. First you need to take the first panel and make it a little shorter (three to five millimeters) than the available width of the room. Plastic panels can be cut using a small handsaw or a jigsaw, and the edges can be cleaned with sandpaper or a file, while not trying to crush the panels. Do not forget to remove the film from the plastic panels before installation, because when assembled, removing a thin film protective coating from them will be a big problem.
Then we enter the narrow end of the first panel into the plastic start profile and, slightly bending the panel, we start the second end on the opposite wall. Then you need to move this panel to the nearest wall and insert it along the wide side into the profile groove on this wall. If necessary, you can use a narrow spatula or a knife, taking great care not to damage the material.
How to fix the panel to the profiles? Using self-tapping screws with washers. And it is also necessary to do this very carefully, not forgetting that they assemble the ceiling from panels that are easily damaged even under not very strong mechanical effects. If the bit jumps off the screw head, it can easily pierce the panel, which then will most likely have to be replaced with a new one. It is recommended to first drill holes in the wall of the profile, and screw the screws into them already: this will allow you to quickly assemble the ceiling covering from the panels in the kitchen, in the bathroom and in any other room without damaging the material, regardless of whether wood panels are used for the ceiling or slatted panels or PVC panels for the ceiling.
When all the panels on the ceiling except one are assembled (joined), it remains to decide how to fix this last panel? We cut it so long that it was only a few millimeters smaller than the distance between the walls, reduced by the width of one mounting profile. After that, insert the panel in one profile until it stops, and insert its freely dangling end without problems into the second profile, slightly shifting the panel in its direction.
That's all. It is done. The ceiling is assembled. However, the repair is not yet complete, because regardless of whether the ceiling is assembled on the balcony or the ceiling in the bedroom, or the ceiling in the corridor, or the ceiling in the bathroom, you must also decide how to make holes in it for the lamps.
They can be pre-cut "on the ground", having previously calculated in which panel, in which place it is needed, or cut it already "in place" using drills or crowns, or even a simple kitchen knife, since the PVC material of the panels is very soft and cut easily.
The advantages of PVC ceilings
If you can’t decide how to sheathe the ceiling in the kitchen or in the toilet, then it’s time for you to find out what you will get if you use plastic PVC panels as a finishing material for repairing these rooms:
- the possibility of leveling the ceiling with defects of its surface of any nature without the need to change the shape of the old coating;
- ease of installation of lamps of any type;
- the ability to hide various communications under the plastic cover;
- ease of construction (it is lighter both in weight and in installation technology, compared to plasterboard ceilings);
- you will improve both sound insulation, and thermal insulation of the room;
- you do not need to use "wet" construction processes (for example, you do not need the putty necessary for plasterboard ceilings), you do not need to sand, paint, etc.
- and the most important advantage when performing the repair of ceilings using PVC panels is that you will create the most moisture-resistant ceiling covering;
- your ceiling will never become moldy and will not change in any way over the years, even having sustained a flood organized by its neighbors from above;
- Such a ceiling covering can be repeatedly mounted and dismantled.
Are there any disadvantages?
- Multi-level plastic ceilings never collect: aesthetically not very impressive sight.
- For the most part, plastic panels in any room do not look like an elegant design and expensive room decoration.
- Between the panels, even with the naked eye you can see the joints.
The scope of application of plastic panels is limited, as a rule, to bathrooms, corridors, loggias and kitchens. Moreover, in these cases, you can use the ceiling of foam or batten metal ceiling made of thin tape based on aluminum alloy, mounted from the so-called slatted panels.