It is not surprising that when a question arises about the repair of a room, first of all, everyone thinks about the decoration of the walls. The variety of surface technologies is amazing, but the most popular and sought-after are wallpapers. When selecting them, many indicators are considered. The most practical can be called washable wallpaper. There are several types of them, and canvases differ in the quality of materials and the rules of care.
Types of washable wallpaper
When choosing a decor for the walls, you should definitely take into account the properties of materials. This will help you choose the finish that fits your specific room. The most versatile are vinyl wallpaper, which are made on different bases.
Washable non-woven wallpapers have a clearly defined volume texture. Canvases come in various shades. In appearance, the rolls have a considerable weight, but this impression is deceptive.
Paper based wallpaper
Flat vinyl washable wallpaper made on a paper basis. The surface vinyl layer gives the canvas the following advantages: high strength, easy maintenance. Due to the unequal texture, the surface can imitate various materials: plaster, stone, textiles. The use of the screen printing method allows you to make canvas, similar to silk, and having a shiny and smooth surface. Perfectly washable paper wallpapers decorate the walls of kitchens, bathrooms, corridors. The main thing - when washing the surface do not use detergents with abrasives.
Thick vinyl is hot stamping. These models are the thickest, so they have a high moisture resistance, durable coating.
How to choose a washable wallpaper for different rooms?
A large assortment of wallpapers suggests wide use of this finishing material. Many positive qualities help to choose the type of wallpaper for different rooms.
- Wallpaper for the children's room is desirable to choose eco-friendly, for which just care. The following properties positively characterize vinyl materials: they are easily glued, do not fade, have sound-proofing properties. The negative qualities include: a limited supply of children's subjects, the lack of pores on the surface (the material does not "breathe"). The last trait can cause mold and mildew under wallpaper. This is especially true for rooms that have already encountered problems of fungus / mold on the walls. Vinyl coatings can be designed only rooms with good ventilation, low humidity. To secure the surface of the walls, before you glue the wallpaper, covered with a special primer.
- This is a suitable wallpaper for the bedroom. Due to the various textures and shades of the canvas, it is easy to choose decorative material for the bedroom of any style. A pleasant to the touch surface will create a cozy and relaxing atmosphere in the room. So how to remove old wallpaper is not difficult, then a periodic update of the wall decor ensures a fresh and well-groomed room.
- You can choose hot stamping (thick vinyl linens) for cleaning toilet or corridor wallpaper. It is due to the increased wear resistance, such wall decoration is suitable for corridors, where periodically leave a wet umbrella or dirty shoes and animals run.
- Non-woven linen - the best washable wallpaper for the kitchen, which, if desired or necessary, it is possible to easily repaint. This material can last for about 15 years. Advantages of wallpaper: do not sustain combustion, can block cracks up to 2 mm, do not deform and do not shrink, are suitable for wall decoration in new buildings - they do not tear when wall shrinks, while washing you can use brushes and detergents with abrasives.
Some rooms do not need finishing with special washable wallpaper (bedroom, toilet). However, a wide range of materials allows you to choose interesting canvas with a water-repellent surface.
Deciphering characters on wallpaper labels
In order not to be mistaken with the choice, it is recommended to correctly understand the symbols indicated by the manufacturers on the labels.
- One wavy line - wallpaper moisture-proof, can be used in the decoration of kitchens, other rooms with high humidity and a high degree of pollution.
- Two wavy lines - washable wallpaper, during the care of which you can use a napkin or a sponge.
- Three wavy lines - super washable sheets, the washing of which is allowed to use chemical washable compounds (without abrasives).
- A single wave and brush means that it is a high-strength wallpaper and reminds you that you can use hard brushes when cleaning the surface.
Wall decor with washable wallpaper does not mean mandatory and regular wet cleaning of the surface. It is necessary to use water with detergent additives only in cases where the pollution has failed to remove in other ways.
How to remove washable wallpaper?
To dismantle old coatings, no special tools or special formulations are required.
Vinyl wallpapers are covered with a special water-repellent layer, so simply wetting the surface will not solve the problem of how to remove old washable wallpaper from the wall. In order to "neutralize" the surface vinyl layer, it is cut with a knife in many places. To quickly make a lot of notches on the surface of the wallpaper, you can use a needle roller.
Wallpaper Sticking Features
To cover served for a long period, and at the same time retained a neat and aesthetic appearance, a number of rules are observed.
- For bonding cloths use special formulations or glue "super vinyl", which do not form lumps and easily slide on the surface of the canvas. This will help to simply create a tight joint between the canvases.
- To wallpaper quickly stuck, carry out work on the preparation of walls for pasting. The surfaces are thoroughly cleaned from the old decorative coating. Old glue, dust and dirt are washed off the walls. Surfaces are treated with a deep penetration primer to better fix the wallpaper. This technique will impede the absorption of glue into the wall.
- When decorating walls with non-woven base wallpaper, it is desirable to dilute ordinary wallpaper glue. And you can only cover the wall with the composition.
- Washable wallpaper is denser than usual, so the process of sticking does not use the method of joining canvases "overlap", since the seams-joints will be very noticeable on the walls.
- To smooth the surface of the wallpaper and the joints using a special roller or brush. Movement should be smooth and unhurried, and smooth the canvas in directions: from the center to the borders and from top to bottom.
Unprepared walls (containing small cracks, damages) are recommended to be decorated with the thickest wallpaper.
Compliance with the requirements will simplify the process of sticking wallpaper and guarantees the quality of construction work.
If there are doubts about the quality of the wallpaper and the expediency of their use, then it is possible to decorate with such canvases a small room or a separate wall. And after a while it will be easier to conclude for yourself: is there a need for such a decor?