Rockery (from the English word rock - stone, rock) - the composition of the landscape design of the garden or suburban area, created with the help of stones and plants. Flat rock aquarium is notable for its restrained beauty and perfectly decorates the corners of the paths, recreation areas, and the blind area of the house.
Characteristic features of the stone-plant composition:
- when making out, tiers are not formed (there is no change in height), it is undesirable to dig in large stones vertically;
- due to the flat form of rockeries, there is no need for intensive lighting;
- it is desirable to use stone elements of the same breed and similar shades;
- Cord of dwarf species is the basis of herbal composition.
The style of rockeries
Depending on the ratio of stones and plants, on the general form of the composition, several types of stone gardens can be distinguished.
- English mood has a composition in which hvoyniki (juniper, thuja, spruce are undersized) predominate. This style can be considered the most common in the art of creating rockeries.
- Japanese style is different using more stones. And this is not surprising, because the Japanese stone gardens are a real art. Create such a miracle of landscape design on the site under the force of any owner.
- The European variant is characterized by the use of plants in the middle band (horizontal cotoneaster, low viburnum).
Depending on its location, the choice of plants, the ease of updating the composition, the following types of stone-flower garden can be distinguished:
- It is optimal to create temporary rockeries in the garden at a somewhat elevated site, which is decorated with plants to allow for their further growth. Among the flowers are stones that can be easily rearranged, added or removed;
- in order to create a permanent composition, plants are selected that grow slowly and are easily corrected by cutting, if the summer resident wants, to change the shape of the plants. Perennials are seated in groups, and selected species that do not give abundant root growth;
- changeable - it is distinguished by the selection of such plants, which, if desired, can be easily replaced. Such rockeries will suit summer residents who are fond of experiments with growing flowers. You can regularly update the floral component of the composition and avoid the monotonous design of the site. When creating rock aria, it is recommended to leave space in advance for the addition of vegetation. A great idea when making a plot is planting annual flowers, which, in case of a failure to understand, will simply replace (or even remove at any time).
Depending on the layout of rockery elements, its size, the structure can be divided into several types.
Volume rock arior settles on a plot of more than 10 sq.m. On large areas, several groups of stones look organically (three, preferably), and not a single array. Harmoniously combine stone ensemble can be separate medium-sized stones.
Mini-rockeries is formed in a compact area, so the composition uses one large central stone. To create a harmonious pattern is also used large pebbles. Plants are selected appropriate height.
When decorating the site, it is important to take into account all the nuances of creating the perfect stone-vegetable flower garden.
Preparation and choice of the place for arrangement of decorative composition
Rockery is an important element of landscape design, so it is important that the composition not only successfully complements the site, but is also clearly visible from different angles and has an interesting appearance:
- in large territories, the place of rockery design is chosen near the house or oriented to recreation areas, a park;
- the compositions will organically complement the picturesque view of the reservoirs or "dry streams";
- mini rockeries will wonderfully decorate terraces or open spaces, verandas;
- rock aquarium from conifers in front of the house with panoramic windows will provide a beautiful view at any time of the year;
- work on the construction of the stone-plant ensemble is better to start in spring or early summer.
During the preparatory work we should thoroughly weed the earth, adding fertile soil if necessary. Its composition is selected taking into account the characteristics of future plantings, but avoiding overly fertile additives so that the plants do not begin to thrive. The optimal mixture of soil: 1 part of the land (leaf / sod), the floor of the peat, 1 part of the sand and the floor of the "native" land. If water is periodically stagnant within the limits of a future decorative structure, drainage is sure to be made.
How to select and install stones
The stage of placing the stones is the most important, as it sets the naturalness of the composition. So that the stones do not become an incomprehensible heap or a sad mound, you must follow some rules:
- massive stones form the basis of the rockery pattern and are set first, so maximum attention is paid to their arrangement. On a small garden site bulky structures will look ridiculous. The optimal number of boulders - 2-3 pieces;
- large stones should stand steadily, therefore it is advisable to prepare a preliminary area for their location: the foundation should be concreted or covered with rubble. These measures will prevent subsidence of boulders;
- small stones create the background of the picture, and larger specimens lay out in compliance with the lines of the composition (creating a rounded rockaria or simply sticking to one direction). Only having defined the locations of the main stones, they can be driven in;
- To create an organic composition, stones of the same rock and texture are selected. For single-layer masonry, sandstone, granite, tuff or limestone fragments are best suited. When choosing stones, it is necessary to take into account their peculiarities: limestone, when interacting with the earth, exhibits an alkaline reaction, while sandstone opposite - can acidify the earth. Porous tuff effectively decorates the composition, until weeds grow in it, which are very difficult to remove, but necessary.
To make the plants harmoniously stand out against a stone background, boulders and pebbles choose muted natural shades: beige, yellowish, gray. Between the stones should leave enough space for free planting of plants.
Selection and planting of plants
When landscaping the site is recommended to adhere to some tips of landscape designers, so that the plants do not look chaotically planted green bushes, and made up a beautiful composition:
- the basics of the stone flower garden are made with hvoiki. It is necessary to choose copies with a crown of the original form and an unusual shade of needles. They will create color accents on the site during cold seasons. Picturesquely look thuja western with a conical or spherical shape (with yellowish needles), dark coniferous dwarf - mountain pine, spruce spruce nest;
- further free spaces between stones are filled with ornamental deciduous shrubs. Chubushnik coronary (forms a dense ball of elegant green color), Kuril tea (covered with yellow flowers from mid-summer until the first frost), Japanese spirea (with bright golden-orange foliage) will perfectly decorate the composition. Creeping forms of bushes look great as a green filler;
- bright seasonal accents can be created with bulbous or small-bulbous cultures. Perfectly emphasize the freshness of spring - crocuses and snowdrops. Later primroses bloom, beautiful low tulips. In order to have a rokiae always look elegant and festive, plants flowering at different times are selected;
- Various perennial flowers for rock arias will wonderfully decorate a stone garden. Moreover, when choosing varieties, its location is necessarily taken into account - shady or brightly lit;
- When landscaping the site, it is possible to use a variety of flower arrangements. Do not get involved with the number of plants, as a riot of colors or ill-conceived combination can destroy the harmony of rock arias in the country.
Create a picturesque rockeries available with the help of many species and varieties of plants. The only restriction is that plant growth should not exceed 30-40 cm, otherwise it will be difficult to arrange an integral composition.
How to make rockeries
It is better to start mastering the creation of stone gardens with arranging the composition on the sunny territory. This will simplify the selection of plants. Rockery do-it-yourself at the dacha is recommended to create a small area - about 10 square meters. m. Designing more ambitious compositions it is desirable to entrust already a professional.
- At the initial stage, it is necessary to determine the style, pattern and area of rockeries, its location.
- The markings indicate the contours of the decorative area. A layer of earth about 30 cm thick is carefully removed and weeds are removed from it. Geotextiles fit into the recess to prevent weed germination. A small layer of brick dust or gravel is poured to create drainage.
- The gravel layer is covered with sand and soil previously excavated. The ground is compacted and left to shrink for a couple of months.
- Formed a central place of the composition - laid out large boulders and pressed into the ground.
- The free surface is covered with a layer of special soil (its main qualities are moisture resistance and vapor permeability).
- Planted plants. The earth around flowers and large stones is covered with pebbles or decorative rubble.
Rockery can customize any garden area. Natural stones are beautifully and naturally combined with plants. Such a composition can be considered an excellent method of creating a natural flower garden on a flat platform.