Among the variety on the market of floor coverings, modular carpet tiles deserve special attention. This is a relatively new type of coating, but thanks to its properties, it is quickly gaining popularity.
Features and types of carpet tiles
Carpet mosaic tiles - wear-resistant carpet in the form of individual squares. Visually, they look like ordinary carpet, but have a denser, inflexible base of polyvinyl chloride or bitumen reinforced with fiberglass. This ensures the elasticity and strength of each tile, prevents them from sliding (even on the surface of the tile). The pile cover is created from propylene or polyamide fibers of different heights.
General technical characteristics of the coating are as follows:
- size - 50x50 cm;
- weight - from 4 to 5 kg / m²;
- type of pile - split, tufted, loopback;
- lint size - from 1 to 8 mm;
- type of base - bitumen or polyvinyl chloride.
Depending on the application, carpet tiles can be household (for use in the home), semi-commercial (for rooms with medium traffic), commercial (for public places).
Floor carpet tiles are noticeably different from other types of flooring. It has a number of advantages:
- Efficiency. When worn individual areas, you can replace a few squares, in contrast to the carpet, which has to be changed completely. When it is laid, the waste does not exceed 3%.
- Wear resistance. The coating is designed for a long service life. It well maintains loading from heavy furniture.
- Noise isolation. The tile muffles sound vibrations.
- Ease of installation. Squares are not difficult to lay in the room of any shape, even with a variety of angles and projections. They are easy to install and just as easily dismantled.
- Mobility. Tiles do not block access to wires or other communications hidden in the floor. Flat cable can be laid directly under the tile, and in the right place to bring it.
- Harmlessness Originally, carpet-mosaic tiles were designed for use only in residential premises, so it is not toxic even under high temperature conditions. It can be laid on the floor with heating, put on it heating devices.
- Ease of transportation. To deliver coverage, you do not need special transport and porter services. Squares easily fit in the trunk of a car.
- The ability to create different patterns. By combining elements of different colors, you can create an ornament on the floor.
- Ease of care. Squares are easy to clean due to the cross section of the pile fibers. The hygiene of the coating is increased by the antibacterial agents with which it is treated during the production process.
Disadvantages tiled cover a bit. These include its cost and poor tolerance of moisture and dampness. Carpet tiles are not recommended to lay in rooms with high humidity, from this it deteriorates and loses its properties.
Modular tile is more expensive than other types of flooring, but considering its advantages, the price is quite justified.
How to choose?
The choice of tile is similar to the choice of carpet and depends on the purpose of the room where it will be laid.
In rooms with high permeability should be laid squares with a hard pile and a thick base. Carpet tiles for the home should be softer and thinner. For residential premises it is recommended to take a covering with a split pile.
To cover served as long as possible, when choosing it, you need to pay attention to quality. Modern technologies allow to produce tile carpet from high-tech material - anthron. Its fibers are made of special nylon. Pile of anthron long retains the original appearance, does not fade in the sun and prevents the ingress of dirt and dust.
Laying carpet tiles does not require special skills. It spreads on any flat, solid, clean and dry surface. The whole process consists of several stages:
- Marking the floor of the room. A straight line is drawn through the center of the room, parallel to the longest wall. Installation of the coating begins with the central row. This allows you to place the cut squares at the edges. The marking is especially important if it is planned to lay the squares of different colors.
- Laid out tiles, starting from the entrance. Squares creep close to each other along a drawn line.
- To make the coating look solid, it is necessary to control the direction of the pile during installation. On each element on the reverse side an arrow is drawn, defining the direction of its laying.
- After the central row is mounted, it is fixed with double-sided tape. Glue the tiles in the course of laying the next row. The latch is laid in the area of corners, so that it fixes the corners of four squares at once. Following this technique, the tile spreads throughout the room, except the last rows.
- Extreme rows (along walls) usually need pruning. Measuring segments of the desired size, they are cut with a sharp knife under the ruler. Having fixed the last elements of the covering, their edges are hidden under the plinth.
To stroke objects that have a complex geometric shape, a template is drawn on the paper previously. Then it is transferred to the tile and cut out.
Application in the interior
Carpet tiles for the floor - universal coverage, which is used in offices, shops, restaurants and in residential areas. The color and pattern of the squares is chosen according to the overall interior. In rooms with a large area it is better to lay monophonic tiles or with a repetitive print. This will help to hide the borders at the junction of the squares.
Given the properties of the coating, it is recommended to use in the design of the nursery. Carpet tiles are easily cleaned from dirt and stains that constantly appear on the nursery floor.
The modularity of the coating makes it possible, by combining squares of different colors, to create bright patterns (on the mosaic principle) on the floor, which can be changed if desired.
In the living room or bedroom, alternating, lay squares of two colors, creating a "chessboard". If you lay on the outer edge of the tile in a contrasting color, you get a curb. To create more complex patterns, squares can be cut and stacked in zigzags along the perimeter or throughout the room.
Carpet-mosaic tiles - durable and convenient to use. To care for the coating did not cause difficulties, most manufacturers cover it with special antistatic agents. Because of this, the nap does not absorb dirt. It stays on the surface and is easy to clean.
It is recommended to clean carpet tiles with a brush or vacuum cleaner once a week. It is undesirable to use the washing vacuum cleaner without special need. Moisture affects the condition of the coating.
The appeared stain needs to be cleaned immediately, not allowing it to dry out. Wipe the stains with a damp sponge, moving from the edge to the center in the direction of the pile. To eliminate the stained stains, you can use a stain remover, strictly following its instructions for use. In case of serious contamination that cannot be cleaned by yourself, you can dismantle individual squares and send them to dry cleaning.
To increase the life of the coating, its elements can simply be interchanged. Replace worn squares with tiles that are located in less accessible places and are erased more slowly. It takes just a few minutes to replace the items.
Carpet-mosaic tiles - progressive flooring. In comparison with the rolled carpet, it has many advantages. With its help, it is easy to create coziness and an atmosphere of comfort, both in a residential and office space.