When carrying out finishing works various finishing materials are used. At the finishing stage, putties are applied, with the help of which the walls, ceilings and slopes are ideally drawn. They are produced on a cement, plaster, polymer base, each of the mixtures has its own characteristics and advantages. Latex putty, characterized by excellent technical characteristics and operating parameters, is growing in popularity among builders. This material can be used not only by professionals, but also by people with minimal experience in plastering and painting.
What is latex putty?
Putties are made using fillers, plasticizers and various additives that affect their properties. Latex putty, in which latex acts as a binder, is not an exception to this rule. What it is? It is a polymer dispersion of colloidal particles of synthetic rubbers. Latexes can have a different nature and be built on the basis of polyurethane, acrylic butadiene polymers. It is the binder that determines the technical characteristics of the finishing putty. All types of latex are characterized by high elasticity and durability, which was the reason for creating high-quality building materials on their basis.
Each putty, depending on the scope of its application, is improved by polymer additives. These can be substances with antiseptic properties, such putties are relevant for bathrooms, for the kitchen and when leveling slopes. The hardening regulators allow the fillers to determine the solution lifetime in the optimal range. Additives provide adhesion to certain bases, improve their plasticity.
The main advantages of latex putty
Ready-to-use latex putty is used to perform finishing finishing works. Latex-based compositions have the following advantages:
- minimal shrinkage will allow to do without cracks and blisters, dips;
- resistance to various climatic factors allows the putty not to crumble throughout the entire life cycle;
- resistance to temperature drops provides the ability to use putty on the facades;
- The minimum thickness of the application is 1 mm, it is impossible to apply this mixture on the basis of cement and gypsum, this allows the use of latex putties during the most demanding work;
- A wide range of shades is relevant when decorating rooms in a modern style and while working on wood;
- possesses excellent adhesion to surfaces made of concrete, brick, cement mortar, wood, fiberboard;
- composition viscosity allows deep penetration into cracks;
- in the process of solidification forms a protective film on the surface with high strength characteristics, due to which it does not crumble, does not stain clothes when it is accidentally touched;
- offered in a finished form, which significantly reduces the time of the preparatory stages of work;
- manufacturers offer a wide range of packaging that allows you to choose the material for a small repair, and for finishing a large house.
All this makes the use of latex putty as efficient as possible even at critical sites. The elasticity of the material makes it available for use.
Lacks of latex putties
Latex putty has its drawbacks, like any other material. Ready-made formulations should not be stored at low temperatures. Frozen and thawed putty loses its properties, its application will become problematic. This drawback can be dealt with; latex putty should be purchased only in specialized stores that comply with the conditions of transportation and storage of products. The seller in the winter time is definitely worth asking when the material was imported and how it is stored. You can verify the integrity of the answers by checking the information received with the date of production of filler, which is indicated on the container.
The second lack of material is relatively high price. This discourages many potential customers from putties and is completely in vain. The material has a low consumption, as it can be applied in a thin layer. Its strength characteristics allow to increase the interval between repairs, which also reduces operating costs.
Finishing putty is the ideal basis for painting. It does not absorb paints and varnishes, which accordingly reduces their consumption and minimizes the total cost of repairs. All this allows us to consider the shortcomings of the finishing latex putty conditional.
Latex putty for exterior work is a universal compound that has excellent adhesion with various bases. The exceptions are metal surfaces that are not recommended to putty with latex. Facade putty for concrete and brick is used, it fits well on wood and drywall. The main scope of use - finishing surface preparation for painting with oil, alkyd or water-dispersion paints. They fit perfectly on the prepared surface, do not absorb into it, form a durable and high-quality coating.
Among other applications of finished latex putties:
- alignment of the walls inside the premises;
- high-quality seal joints between sheets of drywall;
- surface structuring for complex decorative works;
- sealing cracks, small potholes and the elimination of other defects on walls and ceilings;
- trim slopes, niches and corners.
Putty wood is used to repair products from this material, the master can easily pick up the composition with the appropriate shade.
Front latex putty close up cracks that appeared on the walls of concrete and brick. The material provides high quality work, the strength of the formed layer. Use facade plaster and before painting the walls with facade paints of different types.
Manufacturers offer ready-made formulations for use and dry mixes based on latex binder. The most popular are ready putties, which are supplied in banks with a capacity of several hundred grams to tens of kilograms. Dry mixes require additional preparation time, but they are slightly cheaper. Regardless of the option chosen, you must prepare the surface:
- clean the walls or ceiling from dust and dirt;
- prime the surface, for this you can use ready-made special compositions or water dispersion based on latex putty;
- wait for the base to dry.
In order to achieve high quality of work, it is necessary to put the putty in the room to stabilize the temperature.
The solution is applied using a spatula, the recommended layer thickness is up to 3 mm. The material is non-toxic, very plastic and it is easy for a novice to work with it. Putty is applied in layers, it is necessary to observe the time interval for the complete drying of the previous layer. For this it is enough from 2 to 6 hours, the time depends on the layer thickness, humidity in the room and temperature. When conducting outdoor work, putty should not be applied in the rain, it is advisable to avoid direct sunlight. It is best if the facade is closed from external climatic exposure by a special canopy.
Finishing the surface leveled with latex putty is done without using sandpaper and other abrasive materials. Even if a fine-grained abrasive is used, it is possible to easily remove the excess. To bring the surface to the ideal, it is necessary to use a wet sponge, with which you can eliminate the defects before the latex putty hardens.