Today laminate occupies a leading position in the flooring market. And this is not surprising, this material has many advantages over competitors.
- Technology laying laminate on a concrete floor is relatively simple and does not require special skills.
- Value for money. Laminate is much cheaper than many modern flooring.
- Wear resistance. Properly chosen class of laminate for a particular room, will allow the floor to serve for many years.
- Color fastness. Laminate is resistant to fading from sunlight and does not change its color during prolonged use.
- Decorative material. The production technology allows you to imitate not only the floors of natural wood, it can be a stone, and an exotic ornament, and even flowers on a green lawn.
- Easy to care. The absence of cracks allows the floor of the laminate to remain clean for a long time, it is enough just to dust off in a timely manner.
- Ease of elimination of defects. Due to the locking connection of laminate boards, broken individual elements of the laid floor can be replaced.
The only drawback of the laminate is its intolerance to dampness, that is, in the bathroom you will have to choose another flooring more moisture resistant.
The main criteria when choosing a laminate
Laminate is a kind of floorboard, 17-30 cm wide and 1-1.5 meters long. Only they are made of several layers glued together by direct or high pressure. Each layer has its own function. The more layers and thicker the laminate, the longer it will last.
For convenience of choice, manufacturers have introduced a classification of laminate by wear resistance. The class is indicated by two numbers, where in the first place indicate the belonging of the premises, and in the second place its type by operating load.
For home, cottage and apartment - number 2:
- 21 - not a high load (bedroom, office);
- 22 - average load (dining room, children);
- 23 - for premises with heavy traffic (entrance hall, kitchen, living room).
Public premises - number 3:
- 31 - low permeability (head office);
- 32 - medium (receiving);
- 33 - maintains the highest load (store).
There are laminate and the type of connection.
- Adhesive bonding Today it is used less frequently, it is more difficult to fit, and the floor covering is not collapsible, it will not be possible to replace part of the panels.
- Lock connection "Lock". The panels have grooves with a comb, which fix the spikes. Good connection, but there is a minus. Combs tend to fade, which leads to the formation of cracks. Fix this defect will not work.
- Lock connection "Click. No effort, installation is very simple, angle 45 and click. How to assemble a designer. Laying laminate on a concrete floor with a substrate, with such a lock, has become the most convenient for the consumer.
Asking how to lay laminate flooring on a concrete floor, many imply that a substrate is required, and this is absolutely true. Having laid a laminate on a good substrate it is possible to prolong considerably terms of its service.
The substrate for the laminate is akin to the insole in the shoe. This waterproofing, and heat saving, and depreciation, it is also impregnated with antibacterial compounds.
The best option that meets all the requirements is foam or extruded polystyrene foam. The substrate of these materials, on top of that, also provides sound insulation.
There are more efficient and expensive substrates. Bitumen-cellulose with cork chips, excellent substrate, but not suitable for "warm floor". Buying it, it is worth remembering that you will need a ventilated plinth.
Of particular note are substrates of polymers with self-adhesive base. Laying the laminate with your hands on a concrete floor with such a substrate is very convenient.
Before you lay the laminate on a concrete floor, it should be thoroughly prepared. The main requirement is a flat surface.
To identify the irregularities of the old concrete screed, we lay a straight rail on it and with the help of the level we determine the flaws. The level difference should not exceed 0.2 cm per 1 sq. M. floor surfaces. Are swings obvious? Requires alignment.
To know how to lay a laminate on a concrete floor, you must select the method of leveling it, measure it, calculate the average roughness and make markup for the height of the new screed. To do this, you need to find the highest point of the floor, put marks on the walls. Measure 5 cm from each mark. Connect marks with horizontal lines.
Leveling methods for concrete floor
- For the floor, where the height differences are not great, the use of self-leveling compound is recommended.
- Deeper flaws require leveling with a cement mix or concrete mass.
- Universal method of leveling a concrete floor, the use of self-leveling self-leveling mixes.
Leveling the floor in bulk mixture
- Prepare a concrete base. Scrub the old floor and brush it off.
- Cover cracks and large irregularities with a cement mixture. Let it dry.
- Apply primer.
- Using a construction mixer, mix the dry component of the self-leveling floor with water, according to the package instructions.
- After 3-5 minutes fill the mixture, starting from the far corner of the room towards the exit.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the floor and remove the air bubbles with a needle roller.
- To form a self-leveling floor, close the room for several days. 2-3 days is usually enough.
After the floor surface is prepared, you can lay out the substrate. And in the opposite direction from the planned layout of the laminate panels. Before laying the laminate on a concrete floor, it is advisable to give the substrate a little rest.
Preliminary layout plan laminate and its consumption
Laying laminate can be parallel and perpendicular to the windows, on the diagonal of the room. If you have experience, you can lay out a mosaic of laminated panels of different colors and textures.
If this is the first experience of laying the laminate with your own hands, it is advisable to stop at the option of laying the panels perpendicular to the window. The joints will be less noticeable if the panels are stacked so that the light from the window illuminates the surface parallel to the seams.
So, the decision how to lay the laminate, found. Time to start the calculations. By multiplying the width and length of the room where the laminate will be laid, the area is determined. For a perpendicular layout, 7% is added to the area, for a diagonal layout - 15%. Further, the resulting figure should be divided by the amount of square meters they are written on a pack with the selected laminate. Thus, the required number of packs for a specific room is calculated.
We put the laminate correctly
Before putting the laminate on its own, experts strongly advise to let the material "get used" to the indoor climate. 2-3 days will be enough for this.
Installation of this flooring begins with the installation of small wooden wedges (about 1 cm thick). They are placed close to the wall to provide a protective gap.
In order to put the laminate correctly, you should start from the corner with two or three first rows. It all depends on the picture. The first panels, except for the first row, must be cut, not less than 30 cm relative to each other. The most important thing is that the panels should not be laid flush.
Between the panels are attached, depending on the device locking connection. Somewhere it is necessary to tamp the joints with a wooden mallet, and somewhere, a click will be enough.
Once laid new flooring, you can proceed to the installation of the plinth.
If there are doubts whether it will be possible to lay the laminate with your own hands, it is better to abandon this idea and not to spoil the material. It is more expedient to use the services of a master. The work is not difficult, it will not ask much.