Thanks to the plinths, any decoration of the room takes a finished look. The first models were made of wood. And initially, for the main (carrying) part of the product, cheap varieties were taken, and the front strips were made of valuable tree species.
Now the markets of building materials offer all sorts of linings (plinths, fillets, trim), made of different materials. Naturally, there is demand for everything, but preference is given to a reliable material of affordable cost. Most of all these qualities correspond to aluminum. Aluminum flooring products and wall edges for kitchen countertops are produced.
Aluminum baseboard for flooring
This element performs not only a decorative function, but also protects the edge of the floor covering, the joint of the floor and the wall from dust and dirt.
- resistance to water;
- long service life;
- wide model range;
- simple installation.
Disadvantages can be considered high cost, the need for special care (as it is not desirable to wash the surface with detergents with abrasive additives). If the aluminum baseboard is darkened, then the original look can be returned to it with the help of special compositions for the metal. Or it is worth trying and wipe the surface with soapy water / toothpaste.
Depending on the form, there are several types of baseboards:
- laid on / flat - can have length from 2 to 3 m. Products from 4 to 10 cm high are offered. An indent from a wall - from 8 to 10 mm. Depending on the type of wall and floor finishes, products are manufactured: aluminum LED (backlit plinth), for carpet, for plaster and thin panels. These models are usually self-adhesive, they are rigid and flexible;
- protruding behind the wall (with a cable channel) - produced two meters in height from 4 to 8 cm, with a distance from the wall from 1.5 to 2.6 cm. The quadrangular and aluminum triangular baseboards are known;
- built-in - differs by a two-component construction and installation feature (before the main wall decoration). It is installed under wall panels and drywall.
Manufacturers offer models with different decorative coatings: anodized aluminum, brushed, polished / glossy, polished, factory-painted, with a PVC screen (for backlighting).
Ways of fixing the plinth
The following installation options are available.
Snap - used for hollow models (with cable channels). This method can be used in rooms with a small curvature of the walls. The main advantage is the ease of installation and disassembly. Since the area of contact of products to the surface is small, it is impossible to glue them securely, so the installation is carried out in several stages:
- First, fix the mounting clips using dowels (the guides are installation ones);
- then decorative panels are attached / latched to the installed strips.
Overhead products are equipped with an internal self-adhesive strip and are fixed to the wall. Advantages of the method - no need to drill the surface; even if the product does not have a special tape, you can use a suitable adhesive. The disadvantages include: the walls should have a perfectly flat surface, a high requirement for adhesion of the wall finishing material. Otherwise, there is a high probability of removing the baseboard. Sometimes when dismantling the wall border, finishing material can be torn off (in case of using very reliable glue).
At the choice of a form and a shade of a side are guided by stylistics of the room, its area. For small rooms, it is better to choose low products, and spacious empty rooms will be decorated with flat high sides.
When installing the headset, it is important to ensure that the grease, fluids and dirt do not fall into the gap behind the furniture. It is precisely the wall edge that perfectly copes with the protection of the table, walls / kitchen apron. The complexity of the care of the product, its service life depends on the material from which it is made. The best option is aluminum plinth.
- durability, long service life;
- elastic edges allow you to hide small irregularities of the walls;
- tight fit of auxiliary elements (angles, fittings);
- the possibility of putting inside a side of wires and cables;
- resistance to moisture and high temperatures;
- esthetic look;
- easy installation and easy maintenance;
- environmental friendliness of the material;
- various scale of shades (under silver, gold, bronze, the opaque / polished surface).
Aluminum skirting for the countertop has a flat or embossed surface and can be frosted or polished. Today, manufacturers offer models in which a colored strip (sold separately) can be stuck onto a decorative strip. In this case, when buying a kitchen set, they offer to immediately purchase an adhesive tape of a suitable shade or pattern.
Flat - the side is tightly attached to the surface. It is installed only on perfectly flat walls. A weighty plus is saving table space. It is easy to install on the countertop, in which there are wide sinks, hob.
Triangular - as a rule, inside there is a space for the location of wires, cables.
Installation of aluminum plinth
For work you will need: drill, screwdriver, furniture screws 3,5x16 mm.
When mounting the side, it is not recommended to fasten the mounting bar to the wall, as it will deform at the slightest displacement of the table.
- The surface is thoroughly cleaned.
- The plinths are measured, the required number of corners (internal / external), connecting elements (if the product is shorter than the walls) are calculated. First, measure the side on the longest side of the tabletop. It is important to consider the installation of the corners. That is, the corners are attached first, and then the distance between them is measured. We must remember that the plinth is included in each corner of about 5 mm. With all the nuances cut with a hacksaw the right part.
- The decorative strip is detached from the base.
- The guide is screwed to the table top in increments of 15-20 cm. Many companies produce models that already have holes for fasteners.
- The decorative strip with previously put on corners is attached and latched.
- End caps are installed. So that these elements are not removed and not lost in the future, it is desirable to pre-smear them with transparent glue.
A special feature of aluminum profiles is the location of the silicone sealing strip on the mounting rail, therefore, when fixing the side, it should be tightly applied to the wall and tabletop.
Recommendations for choosing a plinth for the kitchen
The sides with a matte surface can be considered versatile, as they are well “get along” with any interior styles. The installation of polished models should be in harmony with similar elements or surfaces in a kitchen setting.
Perhaps the flat side looks original, but we must take into account the distance between the table and the wall. Aluminum triangular skirting in this regard is more reliable.
It is more expedient to select the baseboards at the planning stage of the interior style, as it is then easier to find the model you need or, in extreme cases, you can choose a replacement.