PVC panels are a safe, universal facing material for walls and ceilings of residential houses and offices with good decorative qualities.
PVC - polyvinyl chloride - weakly toxic synthetic thermoplastic. It is resistant to influence, water, mineral oils, alcohols, alkalis. It mixes well with plasticizers and practically does not oxidize. PVC belongs to weakly flammable substances. Its ignition temperature is 500 C, self-ignition is 1100 C. At a temperature of 100-140 C, it decomposes with release of carbon monoxide and hydrogen chloride — substances harmful to humans. Solvents for it are ketones, esters, aromatic and chlorinated hydrocarbons.
Features PVC panels
PVC panels for walls - a common decorative interior decoration. Advantages of the panels:
- low cost;
- environmental safety under normal operating conditions;
- resistance to attacks of fungi, mold and parasites;
- long service life (high-quality PVC cladding will last for decades);
- no deformations with temperature and humidity differences;
- ease and speed of installation;
- the possibility of installing insulating, soundproof materials and the location of communications under the panels;
- creation of original, unique design of the room;
- simplicity of leaving (panels easily wash any detergents).
Like any finishing material, PVC panels have some disadvantages:
- low impact resistance (some types of panels break through with strong pressure or impact);
- low decomposition temperature makes them unsuitable for installation near heating devices;
- Some panels lose color when exposed to direct sunlight.
There are many types of interior PVC panels. They differ in thickness, the number of stiffeners, additives, which are added to their composition to impart certain properties, texture, pattern. The surface of the panels is laminated (glossy) and matte. PVC lining is divided into sheet and typesetting (in the form of wide rectangular boards with grooves).
PVC panels are suitable for interior decoration of residential and office premises, hotels, shopping centers, etc. This covering can be installed in bathrooms and toilets, on glazed balconies and loggias, in hallways and living rooms and used for kitchen decoration. Also, PVC lining is used to create an interesting design of living rooms.
Decorating the walls with PVC panels is not a difficult process, it is possible for almost everyone who has the skills to work with finishing materials. There are two ways to mount panels.
- Frameless method:
- on glue (liquid nails);
- using construction brackets;
- self-tapping screws.
- Frame method: metal or wooden profile.
Frameless mounting is possible if the wall is flat, without obvious protrusions and failures (up to 3 mm). When using glue, it is necessary to consider that for each type of panels produce the appropriate glue. Using a compound intended for another type of PVC may not keep the plastic on the wall. Sometimes, universal adhesives are used, but their adhesiveness is worse than that of "narrow-profile" ones.
The construction stapler can quickly and easily secure the panels.
When attaching plastic to a concrete or brick wall with self-tapping screws, it is better to acquire dowels and self-tapping screws, and the diameter of the screws should be 1-2 mm larger than the dowel. This will hold the panel securely.
- It is necessary to remove the old coating. If, after removing the coating, there is "retreated" material, it is removed.
- Treat the walls with an antiseptic, even if there is no trace of mold and mildew. Let it dry.
- Apply a primer with a spray / roller.
- If the profile is wooden, it must be treated twice with a deep penetration antiseptic and allowed to dry.
- Plumb determine the level of the plane in which the installation will be performed. Draw auxiliary lines.
- If under the panel there will be an additional layer of material (insulation or other), it is necessary to take into account its thickness. Insulating material should be freely between the wall and the panel.
- Cut the profile and fix it on the wall where the panels will be.
- Perpendicular to the fastening cladding place the slats, retreating 0.5 m between the elements. To avoid distortions in height, use gaskets to install the panel in one plane, stretch the line from edge to edge and work along it.
- On the frame can be installed insulation.
- On the wall perpendicular to the floor draw a line.
- The panel is cut off, leaving a small gap between the plastic and the ceiling to avoid deformations.
- Insert the holder into the edge of the strap and secure with screws.
- The next element is inserted into the groove of the previous one.
- At the corners install moldings.
- Complete the installation of mounting ceiling moldings.