The oldest Celtic Halloween feast has surprisingly caught on in many countries. This celebration has its own amazing history, well-established traditions and recognizable paraphernalia. It is interesting that at the heart of the holiday lies a controversial meaning: the worship of saints and the glorification of evil spirits.
Traditionally, on Halloween everyone prepares for himself a costume of evil spirit, witch, vampire and other awesome creatures. But the main attribute of the holiday is always the lamp of the pumpkin - Jack-lantern. He is put on the windows, hanged over the threshold to scare away evil spirits. How to make a Halloween pumpkin with your own hands - read below.
Why among all the variety of fruits is it a pumpkin?
A Halloween pumpkin is a ripe fruit with carved holes in the shape of sinister faces with sharp fangs. A candle is placed inside such a pumpkin, which is why it is called a lamp. Vegetable lamps were originally made in England and Ireland, and they did not relate to Halloween, but in the 19th century, North America adopted this tradition and introduced it into the celebration. The pumpkin was chosen as a symbol of the harvest, and the Americans called their vegetable lamp a Jack-O-Lantern or jack-lantern.
There is also a legend about the Jack-lantern - a thief, a worthless farmer and a notable drunkard. Once again, having picked up the stolen goods, Jack ran away from the peasants and met the devil. He told him that now it was time for him to die, but Jack asked him to postpone his death, and in return for doing some dirty trick, discredit the good names of the peasants. Under the contract, the devil became a gold coin, which Jack paid for the stolen items. But at the time of the transfer of the coin, it should disappear, and the peasants arrange a fight, figuring out who stole it from them. The idea liked the devil and he went into Jack's pocket with a gold coin.
But it so happened that the cross was the stolen thing, so the devil immediately lost his power, and Jack let him go with the condition that he would not drag him to hell. However, after death, Jack's soul was not accepted either in hell or in paradise. On the way, in total darkness, Jack was looking for a lantern, but the devil threw him only a few embers. Then he cut the lamp out of the pumpkin, put coals into it and continued its eternal wandering between heaven and earth.
Halloween pumpkin do it yourself - easy and fun.
First you need to choose the freshest pumpkin - it has a soft crust, which makes cutting easier. The shape of a pumpkin at your discretion, it can be an elongated pumpkin or a traditional round one. Pre-cover the work surface with paper or oilcloth, because in the process of cutting, most likely, it is pretty dirty.
You will need:
- fresh pumpkin;
- board for products;
- well sharpened long and short knives;
- spoon with sharp edges;
- marker, felt-tip pen and stencil with a face (you can draw without a stencil);
If you get the hang of it, it will be quite simple to cut a pumpkin for Halloween:
- At the top of the pumpkin, using a marker, draw a hole of sufficient diameter to allow your hand to creep into it, and the pulp and seeds will be removed through it with a spoon.
- Using a sharp long knife, cut the hole, keeping the knife at a slight angle, so you can later put the lid back and close the lamp from above.
- Remove all the pulp and seeds with a spoon, especially from the front, where there will be a face. It is necessary to clean it so that the wall thickness remains about 2 centimeters. The remaining seeds you can bake in the oven.
- Draw the selected face on the future fixture with a marker. Traditionally - a triangular nose and eyes and a crescent-shaped smile with sharp teeth. Or attach the template to the pumpkin and transfer the picture. It is advisable to draw elements large enough, because it will be hard to cut small elements.
- With the help of a short knife, mark the outlines and start to slowly cut, pieces of pumpkin can be pushed inward or hooked and pulled out. To get a clearer picture, you can use jigsaws.
- Pull out the extra pieces and pulp, put the candle inside the pumpkin and cover with the cut out lid - the lamp is ready, and now you know how to cut the Halloween pumpkin.
Save lamp pumpkin for a long time
Naturally, the pumpkin lamp will soon begin to deteriorate, it is affected by oxygen and various microorganisms. In order for Jack to live longer, you can apply a few simple measures. You need to prepare a solution to sanitize the pumpkin and prevent the spread of bacteria:
- Take a liter of water and dilute it with a tablespoon of chlorine bleach, carefully mixing everything.
- Pour the obtained solution into the sprayer and completely spray the already cut down lamp: from the outside, from the inside, in the places of the cut. See that the mixture is distributed over the surface of the pumpkin, and leave it to dry for 20-30 minutes.
- It is possible and without the help of a sprayer to disinfect the lamp by dipping it into the bleach solution. In this position, he should stay for several hours, after the lamp is removed and turned upside down, so that the liquid is glass, and he dries out. After this procedure, the lantern should be dipped with paper towels.
- You can also periodically spray the lamp with chlorine solution, moistening it and killing bacteria.
- Another trick is to treat the pumpkin cuts with vaseline. It prevents quick drying and prevents mold and bacteria from developing.
- It is best to keep the flashlight away from sunlight in a cool place.
How to make a Halloween pumpkin using paper
It is not always possible to get a fresh and beautiful pumpkin for the manufacture of the lamp, in this case, you can use paper. Prepare:
- a sheet of orange and green A4 paper;
- pen or pencil;
- scissors or office knife.
After preparing all the necessary tools and materials, we proceed to making paper pumpkins:
- From orange paper cut out strips about 2.5 centimeters thick.
- All the stripes fold in half and thus mark the middle.
- Two strips fold the crosswise in the middle.
- The next cross is connected with the first one, turning 45 degrees.
- Thus we continue to connect the parts of the pumpkin from paper, securing them together with scotch tape.
- You can put a sweet gift inside such a pumpkin, and then join the ends of the strips into a round shape.
- From a green paper we make a tail for a pumpkin, twirling it on a pencil, also we cut out two petals;
- Then you can stick on the front of the triangular black eyes and mouth with teeth.
So, using a ripe pumpkin or colored paper, you can create a unique atmosphere in your home while celebrating a mysterious Halloween.