Home cactus is able to satisfy the eternal craving of man to the earth and to communicate with living plants. Even in the conditions of a city apartment, a whole collection can be accommodated on a small window-sill, including the most common varieties of these small, undemanding and beautifully flowering plants.
Cacti in the interior of an apartment, residential building or office look very peculiar and unusual. Recently, a whole trend has emerged in the design of premises, providing for the design of residential and office rooms with cacti. These amazing plants invariably delight the eye with their decorative look and unexpectedly bright and abundant flowering. Red, white, yellow and orange flowers are able to enliven and adorn the strict interior with colorful strokes, as well as dispel the accumulated negative energy.
Cacti belong to the group of succulent plants - they are extremely drought-resistant, as they are able to store and keep water in their succulent and fleshy stems for a long time. Homeland cacti is America. Here plants grow in natural conditions, capturing an area with completely different soil-climatic zones. Most cacti grow in arid areas, but some species can be found on the sea coasts, grassy plains, in tropical forests and even in highland areas. For beginners, all cactus plants can be grouped according to a variety of growing conditions. This group will facilitate the care of cacti in the conditions of the apartment, allowing you to properly place the plants at home:
- The first group is desert cacti. Desert plant requires bright sunlight and sparse watering. Contents in the summer - always in the open air (in the garden, on the open balcony), in winter the content is cold - at an air temperature of at least +6 degrees. Standard soil for cacti and succulents can be mixed with ordinary garden soil.
- The second group - cacti of high mountainous areas. The mountain plant also prefers bright lighting, but unlike the desert cactus, watering is extremely rare. The mountain cactus is kept in summer on open balconies, and in winter on cold glazed loggias. The soil for this group of cacti should not include humus, and drainage must be used not only the bottom, but also the top.
- The third group - cacti from grassy plains. Plains grow well in fairly heavy soil with moderate light. In the summer, cacti require generous watering, in the winter - rare.
- The fourth group - cacti from tropical rain forests. Rainforest plants need shading from direct sunlight, light nourishing soil, abundant watering in summer and regular moderate watering in winter. In the warm season it is desirable to keep the plants in shading in the open air.
- The fifth group - cacti of dry forests. This group of cacti refers to shade-tolerant plants. They grow well in shading, need abundant summer watering and dry winter maintenance.
The most popular types of home cacti
The names of the most simple to care for, easily blooming and not very whimsical home cacti, having different appearance and colors of various colors:
- Schlumbergera truncated, Schlumberger Buckley, ripsalidopsis - blooming forest tropical cacti that require abundant watering and wet content. Schlumbergera (zigokaktus) dissolves its luxurious flowers in December - at Christmas, so received the popular names "Decembrist", "Christmas tree" or "Christmas cactus." The popular name for ripsalidopsis is “Easter cactus”, since the flowers on it appear for Easter holidays. For abundant flowering requires a dormant period of 1.5-2 months with sparse watering and cool content. Flowers in forest cacti of various colors - from red, pink, white and soft peach to two-tone in hybrid plants.
- Gymnocalycium is a blooming cactus that includes up to 200 species of various kinds in appearance and color. One of the features of the Gymnocalycium is the early flowering (3-4 years of age), which explains its popularity among fans of home cacti.
- Lobivia - blooming mountain cactus, the most suitable for indoor breeding. This medium-sized cactus species includes up to 100 varieties blooming in summertime with golden yellow or bright red flowers. The shape of plants is varied - spherical, elongated, cylindrical or ribbed shoots can grow both singly and grow in breadth.
- Mammillaria - flowering, compact, ornamental and very picturesque plants. Small yellow, white, red or pink flowers with abundant bloom in the spring almost cover up the stem of the plant. The cactus is very unpretentious and easily propagated by numerous children.