Every year there are more and more new ways of decorating the rooms. In this article we will consider another idea: decorative plaster in the bathroom. Until recently, the design of a bathroom using tiled walls was common to all. Time passes, and new, modern materials appear. What are the advantages, why decorative plaster in the bathroom is much better than the usual tile.
The advantages of decorative plaster in the interior of the bathroom
When choosing a bathroom design, first of all it should be noted that this room will always be wet. Therefore, the material for the wall must be appropriate. So, what is the use of plaster better than tile, except that it is moisture resistant:
- High vapor permeability of the surface
- Unlike tiles, decorative plaster does not create favorable conditions for the development of fungus, especially if it contains antifungal components.
- Due to the absorption of excess moisture (especially the finish) mirrors do not mist over, which is very convenient
- You can choose any color and texture
Features of the use of decorative plaster
Before applying the plaster, it is necessary to tightly prepare the wall, otherwise there is a risk that the plaster will begin to peel off. In addition to unaesthetics, the unprepared wall threatens to turn into great inconvenience.
- If you came up with a design on the ceiling, but did not prepare the walls, the whole decoration runs the risk of crumbling on your head
- It is necessary to prepare the bathroom walls only with sanitizing plaster to avoid the appearance of dangerous and ugly mold stains.
- Creating a design using pre-plaster does not work, it is intended only for the preparation of the wall
- The surface of the wall must be carefully aligned.
Why only sanifying plaster
After drying, this type of plaster forms a semblance of a film on a surface that firmly touches the walls. The use of sanitizing plaster will protect your walls from moisture, so your decorative surface will be sufficiently moisture resistant for use in the bathroom. This will help to preserve for a long time all the subsequent design, made of textured plaster. Using this solution will protect your walls from white spots on the surface that destroy the building material. The outer part of the coating, absorbing and giving away moisture, regulates the microclimate in the bathroom. Fortunately, despite all the nuances, the use of this plaster is quite simple. It can be applied to the walls yourself. Its main advantage is that such decoration of the room, where the foundation is a preliminary plaster, is even more durable than just tile.
Decorative plaster in the interior
The main advantage of competent preparation of the walls before applying a decorative coating is that it becomes possible to use plaster of any kind. With prepared walls, any plaster will serve as moisture resistant. There are no restrictions in choosing the right material now, but it is worth understanding that there is a difference between different types of finishing plaster.
- Smooth decorative plaster. If you want to make the design of the walls in the room more noble, for this purpose you can use a smooth decorative plaster. This finish completely imitates natural stone, such as marble. You can diversify this design using stencils. Also, this coating will be interesting to decorate the ceiling.
- Structural plaster. This common type of plaster creates ordered, textured reliefs. However, this plaster is not sufficiently moisture resistant. The life of this type of finish is not too long, like smooth surfaces. The reason for this - the remaining moisture in the depressions. The most optimal use of such plaster in places where moisture accumulates the least. For example, you can apply it on the ceiling. However, with all its drawbacks, thanks to this type of coverage, the most interesting room designs are obtained. The most beautiful are those where there is a combination of two types of decorative coatings.
Choosing a mixture for plaster deserves special attention
Many advise buying ready-made mixes. You can do this if you have enough experience in the walls. If you are a beginner, then working with the finished mixture may take you too much time, because this composition cannot be diluted or thickened to your consistency. If you are going to work independently, then you should stop using heterogeneous mixtures, as they are considered the most difficult to work with. It is better to entrust the decoration of the walls in the room with such plaster to professionals. The best and most reliable option is considered to be a non-water based plaster. Aqueous compositions, although harmless, but such a mixture is not moisture resistant. After drying the walls, it will need to be additionally coated with a wax compound.
All types of coating have their own characteristics of application, if you decide to decorate the ceiling in your bathroom, besides the walls, you should know a few nuances. After all, the ceiling is usually one of the most problematic parts of the room.
The ceiling before coating must be completely clean and completely dry. And unlike the walls of the room, the plaster on the ceiling can be applied to places with flaws. The procedure for applying a decorative coating resembles the process of puttying. However, after that comes the most crucial moment - the creation of the invoice. To create a decor, the ceiling is processed with a spatula or a structural roller.
Today's construction market offers a huge number of finishing options, you just have to choose what suits you best.