I think everyone will agree that the tile in the interior has become our daily routine. She revets the walls in the bathroom, ceilings, make sidewalk walkways. Of course, in each case, apply their own types of tiles, but the essence does not change. Designers do not intend to put up with this state of things and every year they surprise us with a new interpretation of the things we are used to. For example, painting tiles in different colors is gaining popularity today. In this article you will learn how to properly paint the tiles, what colors to use and more.
Prepare the following supporting materials and tools for the work:
- tassels of different sizes;
- roller with different skins;
- masking tape;
- patterns for creating patterns.
As you do the work, you will need other tools, so think over everything in advance.
How to paint a tile
For painting the tiles it is better to give preference to the following paints:
- acrylic - practical and convenient to use;
- epoxy - odorless, dry quickly;
- Satin enamel - creates a pleasant velvety effect, no leaks and dirt are visible;
- oil-based paints - give gloss, firmly interlock with the painted surface.
Choosing a ceiling paint
For painting ceiling tiles suitable water-based acrylic paint, it stains evenly, without leaving stains, safe for health.
Paving tiles can be painted:
- rubber paints on a water basis. They retain resistance at any temperature, have high wear resistance. The coating painted by them does not slip;
- alkyd paints and varnishes for concrete. They protect the surface, protect it from destruction, prevent the appearance of salts;
- polyurethane. These are very durable paints, their tint may change over time, but the mechanical properties remain the same.
Choose paints from reputable manufacturers, do not aspire to buy cheap formulations, they may contain poor quality components and have poor characteristics. The benefits of such materials are few, because soon the walls they have processed will begin to peel off, deteriorate, and the surface will have to be repainted again.
How to paint a tile
How to paint the tiles in the bathroom and in the kitchen? Paint from the tile will peel off very quickly due to high humidity, so you need to choose high-quality waterproof paints.
The advantages of painting tile:
- allows you to easily and quickly update the interior space;
- when replacing furniture, you can not lay a new tile, it is enough to paint it and emphasize the color scheme;
- You can make patterns on the annoying one-color tile;
- paint masks minor damage and defects.
However, in places where the tile is constantly in contact with water, it is better not to paint.
Before painting the tile, it must be cleaned from dust, grease, rust, lime scale, grout, etc. The better you wash the old tile, the better the result will be, so you can resort to an aggressive method of washing with a hard brush. It may scratch the tile a little, but on a rough surface, the primer and paint go better. To keep the paint on evenly, the surface must be primed. So the paint will be better to adhere to the tile.
How to paint
Before applying paint, glue the masking tape along the edges of the painted surface. Foam roller helps to quickly paint the surface. If the paint is too thick, add a little solvent to it, keep the proportions prescribed on the paint can. For painting individual tiles or drawing a picture, it is better to use brushes.
The work will go faster if you do not pay attention to the seam between the tiles on the wall and paint the wall in one color. If you decide to paint the seams in a different color, first glue them with masking tape.
Not all types of ceiling tiles are suitable for painting. Plastic and laminated tiles are not intended to be painted, paint will not stick to them, but foam plastic can be painted. Painting will protect and strengthen their structure, make it easy to wash it, so many paint even a new tile in order to improve its appearance and extend the operational period. With the help of painting you can give the surface any color.
How to paint a ceiling tile from polyfoam? Before painting, check whether the tile does not disappear from the base, if somewhere it comes off, be sure to glue it. Apply tile glue as little as possible with a small spatula. Remove excess with foam sponge.
How to paint the ceiling? Apply one paint coat in a wide roller. Paint from the walls to the center of the room. At the end of the work small flaws will be clearly visible, the secondary painting will help to correct them. To apply a second coat, take a new roller with a small pile length. Rollers made of foam for painting tiles on the ceiling are not suitable.
To make the paths of paving tiles beautiful and original, you can paint them in any colors that blend harmoniously into the surrounding space. The paint will protect the concrete surface from external harmful effects and will help to prolong its service life.
How to paint paving slabs. It should be noted that the painting does not take several hours, but several days. The selected paint should be mixed with sand. The desired consistency is determined by the method of testing. Thanks to this technique after painting the tile will become less slippery.
During the preparatory work carefully sweep away all the dirt and debris from the surface and from the slots. To clean the tiles ideal vacuum cleaner. After cleaning, the path must be washed with a garden hose and let the surface dry.
Before starting work, look at the weather forecast for several days, if it is expected to rain in the near future, it is better not to start work. It is better not to paint in windy weather, the wind will blow debris on the track, so the appearance of the painted surface will deteriorate.
If you decide to paint a small path and do not want to wait for dry, clear and windless weather, you can stretch the awning from the film over it. Good quality guaranteed.
Any tile can be painted in part, for example, put on it a decorative pattern or pattern. For this you need:
- Choose a pattern. The easiest way to do a geometric pattern is to cut the four strips of electrical tape of the length you need and make a square or a diamond in the center between the four tiles.
- Mark up. Using a level, glue the prepared electrical tape between the tiles. If you did not manage to stick it straight, remove them and re-paste them.
- Prime the surface. Using a small brush, gently apply a thin layer of primer inside the squares of electrical tape. Wait until it dries. Do not accelerate the process with a hair dryer, as dust may adhere to the painted surface.
- Paint the tile. Apply epoxy paint of any color inside the square.
The incredible simplicity of staining tiles allows anyone to cope with this work, even without the experience of painting works.