Decorating, making cozy your own home is a fascinating thing, but also nervous. After all, it is important to choose the right finishing materials, do not miscalculate with the quality, color, composition and method of application, especially when repairing it with your own hands. Previously, when it came to the decor of the walls, the choice was not particularly agonized, it was obvious: wallpaper.
Now more and more preference is given to decorative paint, with which you can create not only the desired color of the room, but also choose the desired texture. In order to choose what you need, do not get confused in choosing, you need to know about the features, types, advantages, other characteristics of decorative interior paints.
Differences between conventional and decorative paints
First of all, it is worth noting that at least a small, but still a difference between decorative and ordinary paint for interior works exists: it is thicker in comparison with standard paints and varnishes, and it also contains some additives that help to achieve all sorts of effects and increase her tenacity.
With the help of ordinary paint, you can also create different textures, but this will require effort, a certain kind of surface and other manipulations. While painting the walls with decorative paint eliminates these difficulties: drawings imitating wood, matte or wet silk, sand, velor, mother of pearl, gold, velvet and many other coatings are easily created on any surface.
When choosing the right paint, you must follow the instructions on the package, as well as consult an experienced craftsman or seller. In addition, it is necessary to take into account the purpose of the chosen paint, where it will be used, its type and properties.
Water emulsion paint
The most commonly used group of paints, it is used for interior decoration. It fits well, is easy to apply and has almost no odor. It withstands washing both with water and with all kinds of cleaning products, which should be gentle. The coating is breathable due to the good vapor permeability, thanks to which it lasts longer.
Decorative acrylic paint
Dries quickly, moisture resistant, that is, the painted surface can be washed without fear. Because of the acrylic resin, which is its main component, after application forms a layer of protective film.
The advantage is the ease of application, strength and elasticity, so that the painted surface does not crack. Can be used for both internal and external works. However, alkyd paint has a strong, peculiar odor, which is its minus. Dries quickly, resistant to temperature fluctuations.
Any finishing material used for wall covering, as well as decorative paints, has its pros and cons. The advantages include:
- Economical use. Conventional paints and decorative plaster have a high consumption, in contrast to decorative paint, thereby significantly reducing the cost of finishing work.
- Large selection of effects. For those who have a non-standard approach to home decoration, decorative paints are a find, because they will help to realize almost any idea.
- Texture paint due to the particles that make up it, will help create on the wall an imitation of velvet, wood or metal surface, wet silk.
- In addition to a wide color palette, the range also includes chameleon colors, with a pearl effect, which will bring a variety of colors to the interior and, depending on the angle of view, will change shade.
- The uniqueness and uniqueness of surfaces treated with such paint.
- Durability and durability. The surfaces painted with decorative finishing materials will last for many years, while there will be no cracks, peeling, or other mechanical defects on them.
- Ease not only in drawing, but also the most painting mix. Due to the low weight of decorative paints, working with them is easy.
- Unlike wallpaper, dust does not settle on the painted surface.
- Environmental friendliness and safety, which is achieved due to the absence of harmful toxic components in decorative paints.
Among the shortcomings worth noting the following:
- small range in comparison with other finishing materials for walls, for example, wallpaper;
- the need for careful preparation of the surface on which you will paint;
- the lack of insulation and noise insulation, which, for example, has a plaster.
Even the usual painting of walls with decorative paints allows you to get an interesting result and texture. But if, in addition to this, to use special methods of application, it is possible to create various additional effects. Before proceeding directly to the painting, decide what effects the future surface should differ from, match the paint, work the wall, prepare the tools, and get to work.
Decorative paint with sand effect
Due to the presence of particles of certain materials in the composition of the coloring agent (sand, shell, shiny minerals, and so on), you can create a coating simulating a sand dune.
Among them, decorative paint with sand is most in demand; it creates surfaces that imitate desert sand dunes.
However, it should be borne in mind that you need to work with texture paint with a special roller.
Paint with the effect of decorative plaster
Another popular way to finish the walls, because with its help you can create many effects and textures! Paint for decorative plaster helps to imitate frozen waves on the surface, the effect of the wind, sea ripples and so on. All that enough imagination.